What did Manchester City gain in exchange for Maine Road?

jrb said:
Let's be honest, at 'the time' the land and the housing stock around Maine Road/Moss Side was worth jack shit. Obviously nobody knew what was about to happen with land and house prices. If we had know we'd probably have drove a harder bargain. Then again, land and housing prices only recently crashed, and are slowly climbing back up. I think we got a good deal in the end.

BTW. Would ADUG have bought us if we were still at MR? I think not. It was meant to be.

So you're saying that City's ownership of Maine Road was worth less than the chance of renting a new stadium?

I'm not having a go either, mate. Just asking if the Club knew Maine Road was worth nothing at the time and renting a brand new stadium was worth losing the freedom to develop their own stadium.

Mëtal Bikër said:
What did Manchester City gain in exchange for giving the Council Maine Road?
(wouldn't fit in the thread title)

Now before you leap down my neck (forget tin hat, i've got Mr T in a tank) and say 'COMS' or 'A Better Stadium' i'll try and explain what i mean.

City owned Maine Road and the land we moved to COMS and gave Maine Road to the Council. So did we give up land we owned to move to an area we now had to rent?

Just looking for answers that will clear this up because i can't understand why we'd need to rent having given the Council our land. Why wasn't a like for like swap possible?

Because the cost of the land (Moss Side for fooks sake) was two thirds of fook all and certainly no where near enough to fund a stadium development. Council get a percentage of the gate receipts over a certain figure and City get a bigger stadium with more people in it

Also we don't 'rent' the stadium, much as rags like to tell us we do. We paid £1 for a 200 year leasehold, and have to give the council a cut of ticket sales OVER the former capacity of Maine Road. As I understand it.

We also got a decent stadium.

People often talk of buildings as assets, when in fact it they are liabilities. As much as it pains me to say it Maine road fitted this category. it was a decrepid ground that required nearvenough full scale redevelopment. redevelopment that was restricted due to the close proximity of adjacent houses. the money we got for the place was more or less more for the land, hardly in a prime area I hasten to add. By moving we got a modern, purpose built facility, which cost us nothing more than a few million in refurbishment and rent when a certain amount of people pass through the turnstiles. This was at a time when we didn't have a pot to piss in. In answer to your question it gave us a stepping stone to greater things, as has been bourne out with the investment we subsequently received.

lunebleu said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
It may have been land but it was in the middle of a shit hole.

Me thinks you might regret that statement.

I for one had a happy childhood in that particular 'shit hole' !

Why would i regret it? It was a shithole, just like the majority of Manchester. Nobody in their right mind would buy a plot of land to build £200k-£300k houses slap bang in the middle of a huge council estate in Moss Side.

It's the best deal this club has ever done and it is the reason me and you will be looking forward to many years of happiness watching the blues. I have lived in many areas in Manchester and all but one of them was a shithole, doesn't mean i don't like the place or have fond memories of the place, just i wouldn't want to live there again.

Mëtal Bikër said:
jrb said:
Let's be honest, at 'the time' the land and the housing stock around Maine Road/Moss Side was worth jack shit. Obviously nobody knew what was about to happen with land and house prices. If we had know we'd probably have drove a harder bargain. Then again, land and housing prices only recently crashed, and are slowly climbing back up. I think we got a good deal in the end.

BTW. Would ADUG have bought us if we were still at MR? I think not. It was meant to be.

So you're saying that City's ownership of Maine Road was worth less than the chance of renting a new stadium?

I'm not having a go either, mate. Just asking if the Club knew Maine Road was worth nothing at the time and renting a brand new stadium was worth losing the freedom to develop their own stadium.

Warpig has just answered the your questions perfectly. It was a good deal for all concerned.

warpig said:
People often talk of buildings as assets, when in fact it they are liabilities. As much as it pains me to say it Maine road fitted this category. it was a decrepid ground that required nearvenough full scale redevelopment. redevelopment that was restricted due to the close proximity of adjacent houses. the money we got for the place was more or less more for the land, hardly in a prime area I hasten to add. By moving we got a move to a modern purpose built facility, which cost us nothing more than a few million in refurbishment and rent when a certain amount of people pass through the turnstiles. This was at a time when we didn't have a pot to piss in. In answer to your question it gave us a stepping stone to greater things, as has been bourne out with the investment we subsequently received.

warpig said:
People often talk of buildings as assets, when in fact it they are liabilities. As much as it pains me to say it Maine road fitted this category. it was a decrepid ground that required nearvenough full scale redevelopment. redevelopment that was restricted due to the close proximity of adjacent houses. the money we got for the place was more or less more for the land, hardly in a prime area I hasten to add. By moving we got a modern, purpose built facility, which cost us nothing more than a few million in refurbishment and rent when a certain amount of people pass through the turnstiles. This was at a time when we didn't have a pot to piss in. In answer to your question it gave us a stepping stone to greater things, as has been bourne out with the investment we subsequently received.

PERFICK.

Just always bugged me as a young'un (was 19 when it happened) and while excited it was never made clear (to me anyway) why we had to pay money to the council when the attendance went over a certain number when we gave them land we owned.

I already know about the 250 year lease and how it effectively means we do 'own' it to some extent. I just needed it putting into layman's terms to 'silence' a few United supporting buddies of mine. It gets tedious having the same banter of 'Council House' and 'Yew Don't own your stadium'

Need some solid facts and figures.

Mëtal Bikër said:

Now before you leap down my neck (forget tin hat, i've got Mr T in a tank) and say 'COMS' or 'A Better Stadium' i'll try and explain what i mean.

City owned Maine Road and the land we moved to COMS and gave Maine Road to the Council. So did we give up land we owned to move to an area we now had to rent?

Just looking for answers that will clear this up because i can't understand why we'd need to rent having given the Council our land. Why wasn't a like for like swap possible?

You want an answer like we got £250,000 for the land and £50,000 off David White for the scrap don't you? It ain't gonna happen. Give it another couple of replies and it will be completely off topic and going on about ITKs and transfers.

If you do get an answer it is likely to be from someone whos mate heard off a guy in the pub that <insert ridiculous story> and why would his mate lie about it?

daveduke67 said:
Mëtal Bikër said:

You want an answer like we got £250,000 for the land and £50,000 off David White for the scrap don't you? It ain't gonna happen. Give it another couple of replies and it will be completely off topic and going on about ITKs and transfers.

If you do get an answer it is likely to be from someone whos mate heard off a guy in the pub that <insert ridiculous story> and why would his mate lie about it?

Actually i think Warpig summed it up quite nicely.
This is one thread that's not for turning!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.