What did you buy that was a really good bargain ?

I have always been into Angling and Antiques. I once went to a local house when I lived in Devon, about 35 years ago as they had advertised in the local Post Office that they were selling various household items (nothing specified). I went along but wasn't interested in anything they had, but as I was leaving I saw a Glass case on the wall with (what I thought was) a stuffed Salmon in it. I asked the woman if it was for sale and she said no, because although she didn't like it, it had belonged to her husband who had recently died. So I left her with my phone number and asked her to call me if she changed her mind, which she did about a week later. I had no idea how much it might be worth, but she said she had asked a local Antique Dealer who said it was worth about £30.
So, I bought it, and took it home. My (ex) wife had a fit....I managed to get it up on the wall but endured about 12 months of nagging about it until I eventually gave up, and rang a local dealer who dealt in Taxidermy to see if he was interested in buying it. On the phone he asked me if there was a makers name, hang on I said, I will go and have a look. Yes I says, it is P D Malloch, Perth. Ok he says, I'll come over and have a look. When do you want to come ? Now he said. So over he comes, has a look and asks how much I want for it ? Oh, I don't know if I really want to sell it I said, make me an offer and we can go from there. Ok he said, I will make you one offer, cash now. £350. Fortunately the (ex) wife was out, so she was well pleased to see it gone when she got home, but not as pleased as me....

I have always been into Angling and Antiques. I once went to a local house when I lived in Devon, about 35 years ago as they had advertised in the local Post Office that they were selling various household items (nothing specified). I went along but wasn't interested in anything they had, but as I was leaving I saw a Glass case on the wall with (what I thought was) a stuffed Salmon in it. I asked the woman if it was for sale and she said no, because although she didn't like it, it had belonged to her husband who had recently died. So I left her with my phone number and asked her to call me if she changed her mind, which she did about a week later. I had no idea how much it might be worth, but she said she had asked a local Antique Dealer who said it was worth about £30.
So, I bought it, and took it home. My (ex) wife had a fit....I managed to get it up on the wall but endured about 12 months of nagging about it until I eventually gave up, and rang a local dealer who dealt in Taxidermy to see if he was interested in buying it. On the phone he asked me if there was a makers name, hang on I said, I will go and have a look. Yes I says, it is P D Malloch, Perth. Ok he says, I'll come over and have a look. When do you want to come ? Now he said. So over he comes, has a look and asks how much I want for it ? Oh, I don't know if I really want to sell it I said, make me an offer and we can go from there. Ok he said, I will make you one offer, cash now. £350. Fortunately the (ex) wife was out, so she was well pleased to see it gone when she got home, but not as pleased as me....
That's about the price of a real salmon round here these days.

Just renewed the car insurance. I have full no claims so it was $300 (about £160) with one of our biggest supermarkets, Woolworths.
Anyway the deal is if you insure with them they give you 10% off your grocery shop once a month. So when we do our big shop (about $250) we will get $25 discount.
Times that by 12 months the car insurance is basically free !

Wonder if they have figured this out ?

If this Australian Woolworths keeps doing stuff like that, they will end up like our Woolworths!

Gone.

Well i was going to say i got a barely used GTX 1080 for 180 quid but @mexico1970 has a deal that takes a big steaming dump on my deal. Still a good deal but Mexico's got an amazing deal, the cu... wonderful lucky man hehe (seriously though, nicely done mate that is one hell of a deal).

Got an MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk motherboard for 80 quid that is basically brand new. Was only installed in a display system once for a picture/promo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.