What do we need?

Soulboy said:
MCFC-alan88 said:
Soulboy said:
Have you done a critique of every posters suggestions? Or just mine?

I'm flattered if I get the special treatment!

I comment on anything that I believe deserves to be commented on, and I've given my opinions of each player you've listed. No special treatment involved.

Wouldn't it be even more exciting if you also listed your choice of players?

Then I can have a pop at them... ;-))

Generally, I don't believe we need much and I'm of the "wait and see" category. I believe that Kolarov will come good this season so I'm not too worried about left back (I am concerned, but "wait and see".)

An AM, one that is capable of interchanging within a 3. Again, there aren't really that many to choose from, from the level we'd be after. Obviously with Sanchez being one of them and losing (apparently) out on him it would leave Mata.

We could do with a deep playing play maker instead of the other AM, in the mould of Xabi Alonso, again difficult to find. This would also help cover if De Jong is injured, as these type of players generally have defensive qualities.

As you can see, I really couldn't give an extensive list on who we need, but I believe we only need 2 or 3 players, assuming Tevez stays.

The main strength for City is the age of the squad, only Barry has peaked, Yaya and Lescott should be around their peak and Tevez is probably playing at his full capacity but everyone else should be improving season on season so we can stand still in a transfer window and still be an improvement on last season. Obviously there is the added benefit of everyone having 'gelled' then as well. Plus there are a few enigmatic players in the squad who could make a quantum leap, Balotelli being the obvious example, if he has a storming season and shows us what hes truly capable of then our forward line should be truly formidable AND we finally won a trophy so its something to push on from.

The only problem is that when Barca are adding someone like Sanchez to a team sheet that already includes Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Villa and the rest and when you consider the amount of youngsters they have who can't break through but are Adam Johnson level or higher it puts who we 'realistically/really/only' need into perspective. If we want to get where we supposedly aiming, winning the league and competing for Europe, then we need more than just cover for players and replacements for Vieira.

If we added Ramos, Marcelo, Schweinsteiger and Mata I think that would be some progress ;)

I rekon were in for four players thus

Increasing squad depths in certain areas
Whilst allowing us to play multiple systems rather than just 4-3-2-1 or 4-5-1

A centre back - I think Gary Cahill could line up, giving us good depth in this area

A left back - I rekon Baines for this one, also giving us multiple option in this position

An attacking midfeild player - Sanchez, Fabragas, Nasri, who would reguraly start in the team, so the creative owness doesnt lie soley with silva

A forward - Ronaldo, Aguero, or another, would push tevez to inside forward, and give us added fire power, also allowing us to play with 2 strikers if needed, whilst also meaning that we would have 4 goot forwards, a must for any serious team.

I would prefer however to sign, Cahill, Baines, Fabregas and Nasri

I'd like to see Nasri for a bit more creativity.

I still have doubts about Kolarov, if he finds his form then it will be brilliant, but i'm still not convinced.

I hope Micah gets really involved this year, he has been looking alot better too. But really another two in the middle of the park just incase.

My issue with the team, as it is right now is we are very one-dimensional(if you look at our points taken from going behind it's horrific). What we need is something that gives us a plan B and to me that has to be someone with real pace to stretch teams and the field, we have the largest pitch in the country and we should be able to break teams down that score first and then defend.

DontLookBackInAnger said:
My issue with the team, as it is right now is we are very one-dimensional(if you look at our points taken from going behind it's horrific). What we need is something that gives us a plan B and to me that has to be someone with real pace to stretch teams and the field, we have the largest pitch in the country and we should be able to break teams down that score first and then defend.

In my opinion one of the reasons Dzeko was signed is to give us a secondary option. Pace would give us a third. The problem being regarding Dzeko is that we don't really have anyone that has (so far) put in consistently good crosses. Kolarov, Milner, Zab and to an extent Micah have shown glimpses, but it's something we really need to work on.

A proper pre-season should also help Edin further integrate with the team, and get them used to his play style, which I believe was one of our main problems when he was playing last year. Everyone was so used to playing with Tevez, that they tried the same thing with Edin, and he just doesn't play like that.

MCFC-alan88 said:

In my opinion one of the reasons Dzeko was signed is to give us a secondary option. Pace would give us a third. The problem being regarding Dzeko is that we don't really have anyone that has (so far) put in consistently good crosses. Kolarov, Milner, Zab and to an extent Micah have shown glimpses, but it's something we really need to work on.

A proper pre-season should also help Edin further integrate with the team, and get them used to his play style, which I believe was one of our main problems when he was playing last year. Everyone was so used to playing with Tevez, that they tried the same thing with Edin, and he just doesn't play like that.

Interesting you talk about crossing, a stat that jumped out at me during the Spurs game Most Crosses for Spurs Gareth Bale 97. for City...... Milner 49......

MCFC-alan88 said:

Interesting you talk about crossing, a stat that jumped out at me during the Spurs game Most Crosses for Spurs Gareth Bale 97. for City...... Milner 49......

Exactly, we haven't had a decent target man in so long, and we've played along the deck for so long (with this set of players) that crossing was a lost art to us. It's something we need to add to our arsenal. At the moment, we're fairly predictable in that we'll try and carve teams up with Silva, Tevez, Johnson and occasionally Balo in the box.

Don't get me wrong, it works most of the time but you need plan B, C and as many as you can get.

Edit: Interestingly enough, off the top of my head, we scored 19 goals (I think) either from set plays or corners, or directly following both. I think we were second or third in that chart, the leader being on 22.

There's a player taking La Liga by storm called Attac King-Mentality. We could really do with him next season. He hates Serie A apparently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.