What famous fans do we have?

On a slightly related note

I've just been reading an article about the popular late 60s and early 70s football show QUIZBALL, hosted by David Vine and Stuart Hall.

Each team would include three paid employees of a club, including players and managers, plus a "Guest" Supporter

Guest supporters throughout the series included Tommy Trinder (Fulham), John Arlott (Southampton), Percy Thrower (West Bromwich Albion), Brian Close (Leeds), Sam Kydd (Chelsea), Leonard Sachs (Sheffield Wednesday *and* Leeds), Gordon Jackson (Dunfermline Athletic), Pete Murray (Fulham), Brian Moore (Tottenham), Sam Leitch (Leicester City), Magnus Magnusson (Kilmarnock), Harry Carpenter (Fulham), Mike Smith (Coventry City), Kenneth Cope (Everton), Alfie Bass (Crystal Palace), James Bolam (Sunderland), John Laurie (Dundee), Lance Percival (Chelsea), Ed Stewart (Everton), Kenny Lynch (Manchester City), Peter Cook (Tottenham), Richard Wattis (Crystal Palace), Nicholas Parsons (Leicester City), Hugh Lloyd (Chelsea), Roy Kinnear (Colchester), Jimmy Logan (Dunfermline) and Jon Pertwee (Dunfermline in the 1971 Final).

Some of these celebrities made more sense than others, (and I remember Ed Stewart's appearance) but why would a one-hit wonder from Stepney have any connection to City?
Some good names on that list. Good to see Sam Kydd amongst them, appeared in close to 300 films during his career and pops up in quite a few classic British horror films.

I have been lucky to meet a good few 'celebs' over the years, mostly in the music world. But the one I was most awe struck at meeting, was actor Leslie Neilsen (at a music event in Las Vegas) had a bit of a chat with him, and on hearing I was from Manchester, and a Blue he said to me, 'I kinda follow Manchester City as my soccer team'. This was in 1997, long before our current glory days, and I asked him why? He told me an English actor he knew around mid 70's was a huge fan, and he took it from there. 'Not doing so good nowadays, but that is just as interesting' was the last thing he got to say to me before his presence was required elsewhere ... and I never got to ask him who the English actor was ...

So Leslie 'Don't call me Shirley' Neilsen was a Blue!
Great story that pal. I wonder if he was mates with Timothy Dalton? I'd love to know who it was. Brilliant comedy actor was though was Neilsen. Love Aeroplane.

American comedian called Doug Stanhope told me that he always puts money on Manchester City when he gambles on the premier league, that's good enough for me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.