What got you supporting City?

2 things
- The Denis Law back heel goal at OT in 74
- beating 4-0 in League Cup in 1975 Denis Tuert was my hero for years

I'm an American and the vast majority of Prem fans over here support one of United, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool...when I first started following soccer/footie, I knew right away there was no way I was supporting one of the "Big Four--" most of the teams I support here in the States aren't "big" clubs with huge followings, so glory-hunting by supporting the same clubs everyone else did was a sickening thought.

United were undoubtedly the biggest over here, so when I found out there was another team across town called Manchester City, a much more local-type club with a dedicated following that have been behind the club even though they struggled mightily for 30+ years, I was instantly interested. Seeing as they were United's big crosstown rival, it was a no-brainer for me. And I've been a City fan ever since.

I am in the States, and did not have much access to the EPL prior to 5 years ago. I used to work with a guy who was raised in Manchester, and who was a long-time City supporter. He knew I was a football fan looking for a club to support, and made one stipulation that I never show up wearing a rags jersey. I clearly remember the day he announced "We Got Rhobino!!!" He gave me a quick explanation behind his excitement, and whenever I would see City was televised, I would make sure to watch and never turned back. Now I've got my Sunday team wearing our kit :) (still can't buy the kits locally because of POS store managers)

I was not always a City fan!!

I was born in Ireland and came over here in the late 1970's Arsenal had an Irish manager and 5 or 6 Irish players so they were the team for me.

It was only been in Manchester for a few years that me and my mates started going to the games at Maine Road and after numerous visits I realised that I was turning and bought a kit etc.. that I was as Manc as my mates and from that day onwards that I felt a proper blue. Supporting City is for me a way of life and as a proud Mancunian I love this city and City.

Oddly enough I can't stand Arsenal and their fans can annoy the shit out of me with their 'Proper' way to do things despite charging the Earth for tickets to their games and giving out top dollar to their chairman, manager and any other hangers on at that club.

Had a season ticket at Maine Road and now the new ground for more years than I care to remember.

There I've said it.

Started off in the mid 70's following Utd in a family of Blues!!! Dad used to indulge me by taking me to the swamp a couple of times but I don't think he liked it and to be honest neither did I, probably because he only took me to reserve games. Once he took me to Maine Road with my brother I was hooked. The atmosphere, the ground, everything made me realise I was really born to be a Blue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.