What Happened to Manchester City's Maine Road

Mad just looking at the corner of Maine Road and Claremont Road.
We used to walk from town, down Oxford Road, down booth street and then all the way up lloyd street, turn at Claremont Road and there we was.
That was late 80s when we was kids and before we found beer and pubs, then it was the Whitworth and the Clarence or the sherwood.

Ah so many happy memories.

Thanks to the OP for putting this thread up, having such a nice time reminiscing.

The old dowager was well past her best when the wrecking balls moved in, but it had a unique character, like the faded seats of a different hue wherever you looked.

I remember when we were at the cutting edge of technology after the north stand opened, and an electronic scoreboard was installed. In a way, it was a reflection of our demise, as it worked well enough initially, but when the money started running out, the light bulbs started to blow, never to be replaced, and the messages became a confusing mish mash of unintelligible gibberish, rather like our chairman at the time.

At the time we knocked it down, two of the stands were newer than the Etihad is now.
Wow - time flies!
I always thought that crappy bit built out of scaffolding between the kippax and north stand (Kelly stand?) was a bit naff, but it was nice seeing away supporters get shat on in all weathers on there.

Probably a mixture of dogshit, weed and dandelion s by now!
Happy memories. Its a shame that a little more hasn't been made of what used to stand there. I've seen the centre circle part, but is the rest of the grass really from the pitch?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.