What Happened to Manchester City's Maine Road

I used to get the train to Belle Vue and then catch the 53x bus from there straight to the ground. Same in reverse after the match. There were always a dozen or so buses lined up and ready to go. Does anyone remember the Minimax fares on the buses. It cost three pence no matter how far you travelled.
That's three old pence, which would be just over one penny in today's money.

I used to get the train to Belle Vue and then catch the 53x bus from there straight to the ground. Same in reverse after the match. There were always a dozen or so buses lined up and ready to go. Does anyone remember the Minimax fares on the buses. It cost three pence no matter how far you travelled.

The minimax fare was great for rainy days in the school holidays.

We could get on the 53 or 22 and tour half of Manchester for the day for 3d if you didn't get off the bus. Met quite a few young ladies on those trips...

I went to a game I forget when, but it was right around the time the main stand was reroofed and there was an artists impression of the stadium all matching and connected... Who would have known within what about 15 years we would end up with that monstrosity of a stadium, but I think it perfectly captures the way the club was run from the mid-70s until we left, that being said I still miss the place and its heartbreaking seeing how dead the area around the ground is now... I wonder if the kids are still watching cars for people!!!

Here you go

9bc02255b656c40a308805f52134cb22.jpg

Yeah I remember the minimax. Used to get the 53 too, down Dickenson Rd. Was living in Moston, think it was the 112 from there and change at Pottery lane. Remember going to watch the Aces on the way home sometimes.

Yep was brilliant used to get the orange and white selnec bus from the play house at Miles Platting to Great Western St then walk up Kippax St to the ground. Even better value in the summer could get the same 53 to OT for the cricket. Sport my life then too young for beer or girls.

Excellent video. I've been there and didnt know the grass was from the original pitch. Seen the estate and the regeneration around the site.

I used to work at Maine Road for security, a firm called Shorrocks, we were supposed to watch the crowd, stuff that.

I remember that Hamburg trip well. That is, I would had I not been almost permanently pissed for the duration! What an away trip that was though. We took thousands.
Walking through the Reeperbahn the morning after the match was well dodgy, I was still finding bits of glass in my Sambas months after, walking through the forest to get to the ground on a blistering hot day, with Blue Moon echoing round will stick with me for life, only the Isle of Man trip bettered it for me, although I am hoping there will be even better trips to come.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.