What has happened to our country?

sixlashes said:
bugsyblue said:
Do they mean that they aren't taught about different cultures or that they don't have cultural diversity among their pupils? If it's the latter then I think it is unfair for the school to be penalised for who their pupils are, when as you have pointed out, it is a school in the English countryside where most people are English! But if it is about teaching kids about other cultures then I think this is important in schools.

that used to be geography didn't it?
Not really. Geography is the study of the land and it's features, in the main. It also talks about populations but not really about cultures.

Religious Education goes more into cultures but only on a religious basis; there is as much to culture outside of religion as within it.

Travel and Tourism may touch on wider cultural aspects to places than Geography and RE.

A good education in a three would cover the bases probably. However many schools don't teach Geography properly and they teach something called "Humanities" which is a mixture of history geography and RE.

danburge82 said:
sixlashes said:
bugsyblue said:
Do they mean that they aren't taught about different cultures or that they don't have cultural diversity among their pupils? If it's the latter then I think it is unfair for the school to be penalised for who their pupils are, when as you have pointed out, it is a school in the English countryside where most people are English! But if it is about teaching kids about other cultures then I think this is important in schools.

Not really. Geography is the study of the land and it's features, in the main. It also talks about populations but not really about cultures.

Religious Education goes more into cultures but only on a religious basis; there is as much to culture outside of religion as within it.

Travel and Tourism may touch on wider cultural aspects to places than Geography and RE.

A good education in a three would cover the bases probably. However many schools don't teach Geography properly and they teach something called "Humanities" which is a mixture of history geography and RE.

I was implying that geography told you about the country, its indigenous people ,how they lived and there beliefs that was it,no need for anymore information? ...go live in another country and see how much is taught about us...I,LL bet its fuck all.

sixlashes said:
danburge82 said:
sixlashes said:

I was implying that geography told you about the country, its indigenous people ,how they lived and there beliefs that was it,no need for anymore information? ...go live in another country and see how much is taught about us...I,LL bet its fuck all.

That is more like history. Geography tends to teach you about water erosion and subsistence farming - well it did in my school.

“Go live in another country and see what they are taught about us?” Are you implying because schools in some other countries aren't taught about our culture then we shouldn't be taught anything about theirs? Isn't that a little narrow minded? Serious question.

Skashion said:
SWP's back said:
I'm gutted the OP had already passed on his genes.
I just hope she's blonde-haired and blue-eyed.

Yeah good one...hmmmm how can I accuse the OP of racism but make it look subtle and funny???

Have you mentioned the Daily Mail yet? Oh yes you did but only after 7 or 8 pages. I admire your restraint Skashion.

Why don't you spend some time away from this forum, perhaps get yourself a job and a house, shouldn't be too difficult with your obvious intellect and 2 bit degree in politics. Then pop back in a few years when you've grown up a bit and done something with your life.

Johnsonontheleft said:
Skashion said:
SWP's back said:
I'm gutted the OP had already passed on his genes.
I just hope she's blonde-haired and blue-eyed.

Yeah good one...hmmmm how can I accuse the OP of racism but make it look subtle and funny???

Have you mentioned the Daily Mail yet? Oh yes you did but only after 7 or 8 pages. I admire your restraint Skashion.

Why don't you spend some time away from this forum, perhaps get yourself a job and a house, shouldn't be too difficult with your obvious intellect and 2 bit degree in politics. Then pop back in a few years when you've grown up a bit and done something with your life.
Pick on me your right winged idiot.

And no one has to accuse you of racism, anyone with a brain can see your game.

bugsyblue said:
sixlashes said:
danburge82 said:

That is more like history. Geography tends to teach you about water erosion and subsistence farming - well it did in my school.

“Go live in another country and see what they are taught about us?” Are you implying because schools in some other countries aren't taught about our culture then we shouldn't be taught anything about theirs? Isn't that a little narrow minded? Serious question.

when I went to school the above was taught in geography along with rock formations,seas,climate and the like,I would rather kids have extra maths,English,i,t, than waste a lesson on other peoples cultures,if they are curious about other peoples cultures (other than the basic taught)they can do it in their own time,,,,,,,,,,,,am I being narrow minded?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.