What Is lacking?

The false 9 scenario is absolutely unsustainable. It was an incredible achievement to win the league without a recognised striker but it isn't a credible option to take into next season. Teams will work out how to stop us if we persevere with that for much longer. We need a 30/40 goals a year man for the team to prosper and he has to be world class. Beyond that, there is very little wrong, in the general scheme of things.

The fact Gundogan is our leading scorer tells us everything we need to know about the sustainability of the false 9 system.

It also tells us a lot about the mentality of some of our players. We’ve got too many wingmen in this side. Good players when things are going well, but no good enough to lead this side in the bad moments.

I mean the fact that a 30 year old German midfielder who had never scored more than 6 league goals in a season has outscored Raz and Jesus tells us everything we need to know about them.

Kane or Haaland is a must this summer.

Left back
Centre forward
A long term replacement for Fernandinho
If one of sterling or mahrez goes a replacement for them

the thing is they’ll always be at least one position you want to improve as you never get every position done.

None of those, actually and some posters using the defeat to have a dig at the usual scapegoats frankly make me laugh.

That Harvertz goal would have never happened with Fernandinho or Rodri on the pitch, and by letting them on the bench, Pep not only weakened his defense but also his attack.

He tied up Gundogan, who's not a defensive midfielder, forcing him to stay deeper thus having less influence on the game and cut off the defense from the attack, making the transitions ponderous, hazardous even, and constantly exposing the back four to Chelsea's counter-attacks. I've rarely seen you so disjointed.

I still can't fathom why he chose the most important game of the season, a one-off at that, to mess with a proven, league winner, starting XI. The system with the false 9 worked perfectly. The players had their habits, routines and partnerships. Everyone knew what they had to do on the pitch. The second leg against PSG should've put to bed any discussion about who's going to start, except maybe Fernandinho/Rodri. So why for the love of God, change that? Why not simply play your football?

I honestly thought that he would rectify his mistake at half-time, yet he persisted until one hour has passed and with this Chelsea team known for being a tough nut to crack, it was too little, too late. I said before the game that it was vital for you to get the first goal. By the time Fernandinho came on the damage was already done and Chelsea had a huge psychological advantage. Combined that with their well organized team and Kanté in the midfield and you just know that that one goal would be enough.

This Man City team had enough to see Chelsea through, even if it was never going to be easy. Talking about mentality, lack of striker or lack of leadership is simply shifting the problem. It's really heartbreaking, because I wanted Pep and this team to win the CL and put a definitive stamp on this footballing era.

Seems we'll have to wait a bit more.
The goal was fucking bizarre.

The rock solid Stones and Dias were nowhere to be seen.

The strange goings on in front of them from the 6 selected was affecting the back line.

Not convinced at all that a striker is the cure all to our ills, no matter how good he is. I think next season will be far more testing than the one ended, and that our lack of pace, both in the front line and in the midfield, will become increasingly evident.

The goal was fucking bizarre.

The rock solid Stones and Dias were nowhere to be seen.

The strange goings on in front of them from the 6 selected was affecting the back line.
No back four in the world would be able to resist during 90 minutes without a shield. You just can't put 6 attacking players and expect your defense to come out unscathed.

If Werner had shooting boots they'd 3-4 up at half-time.

One more thing..
Maybe we need to try taking the FA Cup and the league cup less seriously for a season, assuming the league is looking good.
Play the second string and the kids.
By the time we get far into the champions league we usually look knackered, like tonight.
The way we play, the amount of games we play doesn't help.
Doubt they'll want to try that though, passing on trophies, but if we really want the champions league then its worth the gamble imo.
In fairness we threw the fa cup this year and by we I mean Pep. Tiredness wasn't the reason we lost. Pep needs the domestic trophies others don't bother with to keep his rep in tact.

Bit more passion and desire. Need more homegrown players. The depth is so good players expect to play so we end up shoehorning players in like yesterday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.