What Is lacking?

Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order. Pep got it wrong with his selection last night. We needed a defensive midfield player in order to release Gundogan. Also playing without No 9 didn't work and the forwards should have switched things up a bit. Mahrez and Sterling are probably still in the pockets of those fullbacks. Chelsea played a standard formation, nothing untoward or unexpected and is was enough. Sometimes football is just about keeping it simple

What's lacking ?

We, City have won 3 out of the last 4 premier league seasons. Have won the last 4 league cups. Have broken records for fun.

Whats lacking ?

Perhaps abit of luck in the champions league ! Was nervous when i saw the team without a DM, but playing without a striker all season made me nervous to start with.

By luck I mean not losing KDB , like I would like to see the possible penalty shout again.

All the pressure was on City , Chelsea had nothing to lose and it showed. Chelsea looked more relaxed City looked like they were caught in the headlights. Plus no DM meant to many of our players couldnt play with their normal freedom. Chelsea are a very well drilled team and won every one on one battle. They have beaten City 3 times in a short period of time, without changing their style.

This team has played two seasons without a break.

We think City are in the market for a top striker, and I believe City need a striker.

So what's lacking ? Yesterday I would say the occasion got to the players more than the Chelsea players. Was that because Chelsea were playing their normal system City changed to a new system. My guess would be yes.

Am I going to throw the baby out with the bath water ? No.

Roll on next season.

Players? Mentality? Leadership? Quality In Key Areas? All Of The Above?

Basically, can this be sorted with new players or does this go deeper and is it more of a mentality issue? If so, how do we move forward and sort this?
A world class, fast, strong, good passing, energetic, no nonsense, 25 year old defensive midfielder who will replace Fernandinho. Someone who isn’t too old or too slow to make Pep think he can’t play them in the biggest game in the club’s history.

A world class striker to replace Agüero.

Nothing was lacking. Sometimes problems aren't indicative of a larger issue but rather isolated to one game.

We came out with a gameplan we hadn't used all season. You do not use the UCL final to try something new because you have a hunch about how to plan against your opponent.

And they just defended incredibly well and stifled everything we did.

If Ederson clips the ball on that breakaway chance and Mahrez keeps it below the bar at the end, we aren't asking this question. Sometimes it's just about one game.

I think it's unfair to start picking holes in a manager and players that have served this club well over the last few years, however Pep does tend to overthink his tactics for these games.

I think most of us could have picked the starting 11 and it wouldn't have included Sterling in current form. Personally all I think Pep needed to do was work on some tactics during the week, knowing how Chelsea set up, but the rest should have been motivational, instilling that belief that we are the best in the world and putting us out on the pitch with the belief and desire that we couldn't be beaten.

Instead, some of our players froze, we looked all at sea at times and we never got playing our natural game until, ironically when Fernandinho came on.

On the other hand Tuchel knew his best system and seemed to have his players, playing with the belief they would win.

I'm not sure many of our players, played to the ability of 6/10 whereas I think all Chelsea players played to at least 7/10 (with possibly the exception of Werner). There lies the difference!

The only thing about having a club policy of buying nice lads is that none of them are horrible cunts who’ll stand up when it really counts in this competition and be a fucking horrible **** on that pitch.
Looking back at the game, this was a game for Fernandinho to start if ever there was one. He would have set the tone where needed.

A world class, fast, strong, good passing, energetic, no nonsense, 25 year old defensive midfielder who will replace Fernandinho. Someone who isn’t too old or too slow to make Pep think he can’t play them in the biggest game in the club’s history.

A world class striker to replace Agüero.

This and a left back. We can’t go yet another season without a proper left back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.