What Makes You Proud To Be British?

You could argue that culture is art, music, drama, literature and so on. Most of which is produced by people who are, broadly speaking, 'lefties'. You do get the odd conservative, but I struggle to think of a Nazi novelist. G.K. Chesterton was a bit of a fascist, but he was more in the way of an ultra-conservative who liked tradition and authority than a radical like the modern far-right.
IMG_0046.gif

Whilst on holiday In Halkidiki a couple of weeks ago there was a real mixed bag of Europeans , All inclusive hotel etc… watching them took into bacon eggs beans and sausages tomatoes etc and not the usual continental breakfast on offer did give me some satisfaction. A bit trivial but there you go.

The world is increasingly a fragile place, in such times of great uncertainty and rapid change people rely on their national identity for security. If folk feel their culture is under threat it's good to understand and properly value Britain's many achievements especially when there are those who seek to exploit their fears for political power.

You could argue that culture is art, music, drama, literature and so on. Most of which is produced by people who are, broadly speaking, 'lefties'. You do get the odd conservative, but I struggle to think of a Nazi novelist. G.K. Chesterton was a bit of a fascist, but he was more in the way of an ultra-conservative who liked tradition and authority than a radical like the modern far-right.

Culture is what time the shops open, what are the shops like, what age do you start and finish school, at what age can you get married, how do you celebrate birthdays and special days, what names do you call each other when you're born, how do you bury and mourn your relatives, do you shake hands bow or snog when you first meet someone.

Culture is the intrinsic version of who you are, it's a mixture of every experience you had, it's localised and nationalised at the same time, you are who you are because of a million interactions in your community watching the TV going on holibobs.

Fuck the arts that's a tiny piece of a massive jigsaw puzzle :-)

Last edited:
- The AONBs (esp Peak & Lake Districts)
- The appreciation of our contribution to the world in such areas as civil service, engineering, music, culture, history
- The education I received in state schools
- The original Land Rover Defender
- The Full English
- Roast beef & Yorkshire pudding
- The simple, all occasion, cup of tea
- Galaxy chocolate
- Lion’s Wine Gums

I must be getting hungry…!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.