What was the first City match after you were born?

Manchester City vs Shrewsbury Town
Division Two (Old)
Sat 16 March 1985.

Score: W 4-0

Attendance: 20828

Team
Alex Williams
Kenny Clements
Paul Power
Nicky Reid
Mick McCarthy
David Phillips
Gordon Smith
Andy May
Jim Melrose
Neil McNab
Steve Kinsey

Goals
Steve Kinsey
Andy May
Paul Power
Gordon Smith

Subs
Jim Tolmie
Andy May

I'd only just been squeezed out so my memory of the match is a little vague. Still, 4-0 to the blues.. not bad at all

That was not on the day of my birth but was my first match watching City!

The day of my birth was when City won 1-0 away at Nottingham Forest. I am unsure if the match ended before or after I was born? That was the City team then:
  1. Frank Swift
  2. Bert Sproston
  3. Eric Westwood
  4. Jack Percival
  5. Eric Eastwood
  6. Albert Emptage
  7. Maurice Dunkley
  8. Andy Black
  9. Jimmy Constantine
  10. George Smith
  11. Jimmy Rudd
The attendance was 32,194.

I have obviously heard of Frank Swift. Bert Sproston and Eric Westwood.

I did meet Andy Black once. He was landlord of the Tatton Arms in Moss Nook, Wythenshawe. He came to City from Hearts and later played for Stockport County.
Some trivia about that team.

It had both an Eric Eastwood and an Eric Westwood. How unlikely is that?

Eric Westwood and Albert Emptage won representative honours with the Enlgish Football League side.

Jimmy Constantine scored a hat-trick on his F A Cup debut (v Barrow) and on his Football League debut (at Millwall). I know of no other player who has performed that feat.

Maurice Dunkley played first-class cricket and scored a half-century for Northamptonshire against the 1939 West Indian tourists.

George Smith scored all five goals against Newport County in the last game of tat season (won 5-1).

Maurice Dunkley played first-class cricket and scored a half-century for Northamptonshire against the 1939 West Indian tourists.
How many other City players also played first-class cricket? I can only think of Jack Dyson of the 1956 Cup Final team and Lancs C.C.C.

How many other City players also played first-class cricket? I can only think of Jack Dyson of the 1956 Cup Final team and Lancs C.C.C.
I remember thinking at the time, it would be nice to sign Ken Grieves. Outstanding cricketer for Lancs, played for Bolton, Stockport, Bury and Wigan. Sadly, we did not get his signature.

Hull City v Manchester City

Division Two (Old)
Sat 27 August 1988.

Score: L 1-0

Attendance: 11,653

Unfortunately Pink Floyd (I'm not a fan) played Maine Road before City did.

One City player scored seven Test hundreds for England and 170 first-class centuries in all: E H "Patsy" Hendren, a Middlesex batsman before and after World War One.
He was signed from Brentford in 1908, and played just two matches for City before moving on to Coventry .
That's a pretty good cricketing career.
I don't know of ant other City first-class cricketers, but apparently Francis Lee, Colin Bell and Joe Hart were all decent players at club level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.