What were some tactical decisions or key moments that turned the season around?

When we lost to Southampton and Spurs in quick succession, I'd have laughed in anybody's face if they'd said we will still win the treble. We were playing poor football then we got hit with the charges, this could potentially fuck our season big time now.
But Pep came out fighting and it galvanised this group of players, and we started to play some great football again. So while those charges are absolute bs, that decision by the prem league backfired on them spectacularly because it made us stronger and we've fucked them all

Double pivot unleashing the Barnsley Zidane, John Stones

Cancelo leaving and giving Grealish more creative freedom
Agree 100%. This made us very, very difficult to draw with - let alone beat. Only one club got a point once we went in front - Forest.

Having Walker back into the team was massive

Whatever was said at half time at home to Spurs. That performance arguably changed the direction of the season. It would have been our third straight defeat and I doubt we would have recovered. Instead, we won every subsequent match at home, which in turn had a huge bearing on our Champions League run; I lost count of the number of times players made reference to how confident they felt playing at home and that did for Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.

Within that specific game two things stood out: firstly, Mahrez’s second-half performance was just incredible, everything came off for him and it was the best individual half of football by any player all season; secondly, Lewis’ block when we had got it back to 2-2 was hugely significant. The ball deflected off his foot and hit the woodwork, preventing Spurs retaking the lead, but of more importance was the fact that he was the one with the energy to get back and block it. In short, then, sublime football and a little bit of luck.

The trophies may have been won in the last few weeks, but the entire season was lost and found on Thursday, January 19, 2023.

Last edited:
The WC break seemed pto give Pep a bit of thinking time. Which to his credit he used well.

Pre WC we seem to be just going through the motions. Post, we clicked into gear. Also believe the charges, gave us more determination

Cancelo out, Dias back and Stones in his new role, there was a new unity in the team and fans, the huddles before the game players walking the pitch after every game, defenders celebrating defensive work like they have scored, fans turning the ground into a fortress when the team needed, most notably Arsenal, Real and the FA Cup..

Edit : almost forgot Grealish's defensive work !!

People talk about Stones and yes he’s been amazing, but for me the ‘beta test’ of this tactic was just how effective it was with Rico Lewis.

We mustn’t forgot just how essential this wonderful young player was this season. I’m as excited to see his development as I was with Foden.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.