What's the closest you have been to death?

ColinBellsjockstrap

As per thread title.

In my youth, when I was about nineteen, myself and a few mates were messing about in an old quarry near Hyde.

There was a stone wall about fifteen metres high and for a dare I decided to try and climb it.

The first few metres were easy enough, but when I got three quarters of the way up, hand holes were few and far between, so I decided to do the sensible thing and go back down.

I looked down to the bottom, and froze in terror, one slip and I would have broken every bone in my body on the rocks below

I was petrified.

Eventually after about an hour I made it down to the bottom in a cold sweat.

I still think about how stupid I was even today.

Rock climbers must be crazy.

Got lost on top of the Brecon Beacons - team of us got lost. the weather changed in a instant, couldn't see a thing, rain, freezing cold, clouds made it so dark to see - i slipped and nearly went down a sheer drop which would have killed me - we somehow made it back down and back to the cars - everyone was totally numb and in shock, no one spoke for hours.

About the time of the Manchester IRA bombing, a similar attack was attempted in Leeds.
I was on my train to work passing a signalling cabinet just outside Leeds station at exactly the time the bomb was meant to detonate. Thankfully it failed to detonate, just creating a small bang and loads of smoke. Obviously, on arrival, everyone at the station was evacuated, and the exclusion zone in the city centre got further out in the following minutes.
I ended up being evacuated to the spectator area of Leeds International Pool before catching a bus home when it became clear the city centre wouldn't open anytime soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.