What's the difference?

Eastlands90 said:
Agree with everything here except Lescott/Boateng. Should be Boateng/Lescott to me, even though Lescott has been impressive so far.
I am going to make a predicition, that Boyatta will beat out both Lescott and Boateng for the CD spot nest to Kompany. You watch.

What does Mancini need to change for the Liverpool game and, more importantly, the rags game?

Same as Sunderland? Or some radical rethinking?

I'll go for some squad rotation Monday and the same team as Sunderland for the rags game.

Not sure if this has been posted. I was slightly lost as to (a) why Mancini took off Boyata in the second half (was he injured?) and bring on a young left footed player at right back? I ask because, as far as I could see, Boyata was (a) having a good game, and it's not like we were taking off a senior player who had played 20+ games and (b) because Logan had played for EDS at full back in the previous few games and is right footed isnt he?

I found that a little strange. The young lad did okay, but I'm really not in favour of left footed players playing right back on any level.

Soulboy said:
What does Mancini need to change for the Liverpool game and, more importantly, the rags game?

I'll go for some squad rotation Monday and the same team as Sunderland for the rags game.

If we play the same formation as Sunderland against either the rags or scouse, we'll get murdered. With the attackers out wide, and Yaya charging on, we left massive, monstrous gaps in front of our defence, who weren't pushing up enough to cover this. De Jong can't defend against a whole team on his own.

As Carroll and Saurez aren't a particularly fast duo, we can afford to play that little bit higher. Obviously, Boyata needs to be replaced, as against a quality opposition his poor positional play and nerves on the ball will become a bigger issue.

Against scouse, our main problem will be the threat of the second ball coming down from Carroll onto Suarez. We need to stop this at the source (wide) if possible, so Tevez will certainly play to keep the pressure on their defence, disallowing them from long balls.

I'm thinking that AJ has got to be playing again to be honest, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the left. Liverpool have Glen Johnson, Daniel Agger, Aurielo and Martin Kelly all out so they are struggling for full backs. Presuming that Carragher will play on the right for Liverpool, I'd fancy AJ to use his pace and trickery against him, whereas Silva is much less based on pace therefore will be easier for Carragher to deal with. They put young Danny Wilson at left back the other day, so pairing him up with Silva will be good for us, as Silva uses his control to outwit him.

Due to this, I'd prefer Dzeko over Balo. Balo is good in the air, but not great. Against that Kyrgiakos, who I think is one of the best defenders in the air in the league at present, it's a mismatch. Dzeko provides a better aerial threat, will pressure defenders from long balling it high, and has the ability to tap it in too. With Tevez or Silva or Yaya picking up the second ball, it seems like we're on to a winner.

Speaking of centre midfield, I'd swap in Barry for Yaya. Barry is much better equipped to deal with Gerrard (presuming he gets back from injury), Luca and the rest. We simply cannot leave the gaps that we had with the De Jong/Yaya pairing against such a mobile team, and Barry/NDJ is good enough to sit and spray from safety, with the wide players been the focal point of attack.

Defensively, we need to be aware of Kuyt, who is a pain in the arse to deal with from wide, so I'd prefer Zab at left back in front of Kolarov who gets dragged inside too easily. Mind you, this might not be too much of a problem with 2 DMs and facing Carragher as the overlapper, so it depends on how safe that you want to play it.

This is all presuming that we keep the same defensive shape but are a little more cautious player wise, and I see no reason not to.

Damocles said:
Soulboy said:

If we play the same formation as Sunderland against either the rags or scouse, we'll get murdered. With the attackers out wide, and Yaya charging on, we left massive, monstrous gaps in front of our defence, who weren't pushing up enough to cover this. De Jong can't defend against a whole team on his own.

As Carroll and Saurez aren't a particularly fast duo, we can afford to play that little bit higher. Obviously, Boyata needs to be replaced, as against a quality opposition his poor positional play and nerves on the ball will become a bigger issue.

Against scouse, our main problem will be the threat of the second ball coming down from Carroll onto Suarez. We need to stop this at the source (wide) if possible, so Tevez will certainly play to keep the pressure on their defence, disallowing them from long balls.

I'm thinking that AJ has got to be playing again to be honest, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the left. Liverpool have Glen Johnson, Daniel Agger, Aurielo and Martin Kelly all out so they are struggling for full backs. Presuming that Carragher will play on the right for Liverpool, I'd fancy AJ to use his pace and trickery against him, whereas Silva is much less based on pace therefore will be easier for Carragher to deal with. They put young Danny Wilson at left back the other day, so pairing him up with Silva will be good for us, as Silva uses his control to outwit him.

Due to this, I'd prefer Dzeko over Balo. Balo is good in the air, but not great. Against that Kyrgiakos, who I think is one of the best defenders in the air in the league at present, it's a mismatch. Dzeko provides a better aerial threat, will pressure defenders from long balling it high, and has the ability to tap it in too. With Tevez or Silva or Yaya picking up the second ball, it seems like we're on to a winner.

Speaking of centre midfield, I'd swap in Barry for Yaya. Barry is much better equipped to deal with Gerrard (presuming he gets back from injury), Luca and the rest. We simply cannot leave the gaps that we had with the De Jong/Yaya pairing against such a mobile team, and Barry/NDJ is good enough to sit and spray from safety, with the wide players been the focal point of attack.

Defensively, we need to be aware of Kuyt, who is a pain in the arse to deal with from wide, so I'd prefer Zab at left back in front of Kolarov who gets dragged inside too easily. Mind you, this might not be too much of a problem with 2 DMs and facing Carragher as the overlapper, so it depends on how safe that you want to play it.

This is all presuming that we keep the same defensive shape but are a little more cautious player wise, and I see no reason not to.

Damocles, you are perhaps the most apprehensive poster on bluemoon.

gio's side step said:
Damocles, you are perhaps the most apprehensive poster on bluemoon.

My pet hate in football is allowing the opposition space and possession in front of your own defence. You can have the best defence and goalkeeper in the world, but if a team get into that spot ten times in a match, you've been beaten.

We got away with it at Sunderland because our centre backs played well and they shown a lack of inventiveness. Liverpool won't have the same problem, and it's a real concern against them and the rags.

gio's side step said:
Not sure if this has been posted. I was slightly lost as to (a) why Mancini took off Boyata in the second half (was he injured?) and bring on a young left footed player at right back? I ask because, as far as I could see, Boyata was (a) having a good game, and it's not like we were taking off a senior player who had played 20+ games and (b) because Logan had played for EDS at full back in the previous few games and is right footed isnt he?

I found that a little strange. The young lad did okay, but I'm really not in favour of left footed players playing right back on any level.

Insurance.
We were 4-0 up and Boyo can play CB and RB. Leave him on and risk injuring our cover for 2 positions or risk him making an error and loosing confidance or take him off on a high note ready for the next game.

gio's side step said:

Dennis Irwin at the rags?<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm --<br /><br />
Damocles said:
Soulboy said:

So if you wouldn't play Boyata at right back, and would want Zabaleta to play on the left flank in front of Kolarov.. who plays right back?

Or are you suggesting three at the back?

Soulboy said:
So if you wouldn't play Boyata at right back, and would want Zabaleta to play on the left flank in front of Kolarov.. who plays right back?

Couldn't we just put Zabaleta in place of Boyata? Am I missing something? I took my allergy meds a few minutes ago and they make me wonky.

taconinja said:
Soulboy said:

Couldn't we just put Zabaleta in place of Boyata? Am I missing something? I took my allergy meds a few minutes ago and they make me wonky.

You're asking the wrong person mate!

It's Damocles team, not mine!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.