What's your favourite boozer and why?

There are a few great pubs in Glasgow. I’m barred from them all, so they can fuck off and if they think I’m giving them a shout, think again. I had the exact same Till at home, it was an honest mistake, made about eight times granted, but I am getting on. I should have been a Scottish Referee. They have them every week and no one bars them.

Most memorable for me:

The Blue Bell York
The Mermaid inn Rye
Tigh Neachtain Galway
Tan Hill Swaledale

The fave old Manchester boozer was Cox’s Bar, a crusty old drinking gaff that sold the best Boddies. And the John Bull on a Friday afternoon for other reasons…

Cox's was fantastic. First found it going to gigs at the Free Trade Hall. Would often see some band members in there if in early enough, we missed Ronnie Van Zant and Billy Powell of Lynyrd Skynyrd by seconds one time. Bugger.

Often saw Halle members nip in for a swift one during their intervals. And who can blame them, it was as you say one of the best pints of (real) Boddies around.

Of course, the ruined it by a totally unsympathetic refurb and renamed Baty's Bar ... :-(

Often saw Halle members nip in for a swift one during their intervals. And who can blame them, it was as you say one of the best pints of (real) Boddies around.
If I played in an Orchestra I wouldn't drink beer at the interval.

Imagine dying for a piss halfway through Elgar's Cello concerto in D minor

On a sad note I hear The Pointsman in Stalybridge/Ashton shut down recently (Boddy's pub)

On a sad note I hear The Pointsman in Stalybridge/Ashton shut down recently (Boddy's pub)
I thought you were worried about the quality of their musicianship suffering.

But no, it's the fear of needing a piss. I take it you're not 21 any more ;)

I quite like the Ostrich decent pint of Holts'.
The Ostrich isn't a bad pub inside.
I have only ever been in on a daytime pub crawl though so it might be proper broken biscuits at night!
The Friendship, The Ostrich & The Woodthorpe all got decent outside seating for when it's nice.
The real piss take though is that there is a different price for the bitter in each pub! The Ostrich cheapest, then The Friendship and a piss take in that The Woodthorpe has town prices.
The Golden Lion & The Fox in Blackley both have different prices too!
We mentioned this to the landlord in The Fox and he reckoned it was down to The Friendship and Woodthorpe selling food but, couldn't figure why they had different prices though.
The Eagle but I have always called it the Lamp Oil off Trinity Way was the cheapest Holts pub going. It was full of characters and you could laugh your bollox off listening to the customers. Racing on the TV and card schools at the weekend. Overnight some hipsters took over no Tv's, bands playing upstairs, candles on the tables and the price of beer went up to on par with the flagship Wood Thorpe. Alas the characters were no more and Saturday and Sunday afternoons will never be the same again in there.

shut down a long time ago, in fact the building is not even there anymore

Went there a few weeks ago. Great beer selection and unique atmosphere. And super quiet on a sunny day when everyone else is obsessing about beer gardens!
Oddly I never went in there for the beer selection mate, but more as you say for the quite unique atmosphere and surroundings, there’s almost an ‘in there together in a bunker during some war’ thing it has for me.

The Eagle but I have always called it the Lamp Oil off Trinity Way was the cheapest Holts pub going. It was full of characters and you could laugh your bollox off listening to the customers. Racing on the TV and card schools at the weekend. Overnight some hipsters took over no Tv's, bands playing upstairs, candles on the tables and the price of beer went up to on par with the flagship Wood Thorpe. Alas the characters were no more and Saturday and Sunday afternoons will never be the same again in there.
My late uncle was one of them characters! He told me to stop being a nobhead drinking lager lout and get this down your neck! Two pints of Holts later I never looked back ! Mind you after a few nights in the Lamp Oil I couldn’t see straight either!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.