When were City replica shirts introduced and when did people

I had the dark blue away shirt, with diagonal red and white stripe. Can't remember the year, but reckon the early 70's. Bought from Cook's on John Dalton Street for £2.25 or there abouts. Anyone remember Cook's?

I read on-line that the first replica shirts in the modern sense were from Admiral in 1975 - the Leeds strip. Possibly the other ones people had before that were just "copies" of the colours we wore - with no licensing issues involved. I know that by 1978 Umbro were issuing the kit with a nice embroidered badge - albeit different from the ones on the shirts I think.

1970 blue top no badge , white shorts and blue socks with marroon and blue at the top of them . City at the time didn't have a badge on the tops , and I remember you could buy the merca tops at the time

My brother got the Umbro diamond kit for his birthday (1977 I'm sure), and I was well jealous. Mum bought it from Alexander Sports on the corner of Wilmslow Road and Wilbraham Road.
I think wearing replicas became popular in the late 80s.

isab23502 said:
I read on-line that the first replica shirts in the modern sense were from Admiral in 1975 - the Leeds strip. Possibly the other ones people had before that were just "copies" of the colours we wore - with no licensing issues involved. I know that by 1978 Umbro were issuing the kit with a nice embroidered badge - albeit different from the ones on the shirts I think.

No that's rubbish. Had an Umbro replica home strip in 1972<br /><br />-- Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:23 pm --<br /><br />
peterctid said:
I got the white with red/blue diagonal away in 72/73? It cost nine quid........
Mine was only a fiver!

I got a city tracksuit off my grandad when I was 8 in 1973,it had an umbro badge,which was red in the middle and black on the outer,I can still remember the box as it had a cellophane window.
I wore it till it disintergrated and my younger brother was pissed off as it didn't pass to him,after I'd outgrown it.
First shirt was the one with collar from 1976,it was a sports shop in the pedestrianised bit off Ashton market,you had to buy the badge seperately and my mum then sewed it on.

Im 21 and i prefer all our retro shirts to the modern day ones, i dont know why.

My favourite one is this

56b48f38-5ac1-cf8c.jpg

I wear it every match day, and will be wearing it tmoz for the friendly match

Got the Umbro Diamond shirt in 78 - as modelled by Dave Watson, Peter Barnes, Gary Owen and Willie Donachie (Blue2112 - just for you....lol)

Got the shorts (sky Blue) around 2 months after and they were Satin in material, no less!!!

As bluemike states, it was mid to late 80's when replica shirts really took off

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.