When Will Our Manager Address Our Defense??

bluemoondays said:
My concerns also, we are being linked to every world class striker and attacking midfielder on the planet but not often to a defender and even less often to a world class one. Lescott & Upson are reasonable but neither are going to sell many shirts, especially the klingon :p

I'd hoped to be seeing links to some class CBs like Chiellini, Albiol and maybe a left back to keep pressure on Bridge. With the best will in the world Garrido isn't likely to cause Bridge much stress about holding his first team place. Our problem last season wasn't scoring goals, apart from away goals, it was letting the buggers in at the other end.......

Yeah, Chiellini looked class when he gave away that penalty the other night for Italy - Not! Take Lescott or Upson over him any day.

Frank the Yank said:
The title says it all. The reason we werent a top 5 club was/is simple: our inconsistent (thats being kind) defensive frailities.

In all team sports offense is the sexy part but strong defenses win championships. We all know our away form was relegation form. A large part of that was down to our defense. Its unfair to blame one player. We couldnt grind out favorable results and gain points when we werent playing our best.

This team will not struggle for goals in the long term but we have struggled to keep them out......

An analogy: Like I said the offense (in any team sport) is like the super sexy girl. Its GREAT when things are clicking but you wouldnt want to marry her. The defense doesnt get the attention it deserves, isnt as sexy but for the long haul shes the girl you want to marry....

At the risk of possibly doing a Clarkie I would say we are still only a few weeks into the transfer window... have patience and keep the faith, all will be well come next season.

City are handling this transfer window incredibly well... they are managing the media and keeping their cards close to their chest. The chairman has said that he sees us signing another 4-6 players. Personally I think 6 is more likely. Even if we sign Tevez, Eto'o AND Santa Cruz that still leaves us with three potential defensive signings - I would say a cb, lb for certain and maybe a rb or a dm.

Barry's arrival allows Kompany to drop into defence as Barry and Ireland can form the heart of our midfield with De Jong covering the back four.

Man i would love chellini at city, I think he'll do well with Ned.

Personally, I just don't think dunne is good enough and I think he's big part of the reason why the defence was so poor last year and the year before.

I ahve thought about Vince at CB. He had quite a few really good game at the defensive mid role I think we will miss him there. I really dont see Barry as a replacement for Big Vince. Barry doesnt have Big Vinces physical presence. Is Vince the answer at CB?? I am not so sure....

Yes I know that it is still "early days" as far as the window is concerned. But you would have thought Hughes would have given Cook a nice, big shopping list and the club would have been working on potential targets (behind the scenes of course) since about March.

I would like to see Kompany and Ned at centre back to see how it goes.
But not sure how good Kompany is in the air. He is very tall but a defender has to win almost every ball. Think he is also prone to giving a couple of sloppy balls away a game which would hopefully stop if he was played at CB. But then again he will have class on the ball which we havn't had from centre backs for a while. Would be an improvement to pass the ball forward out of defence rather than sideways.

This might surprise some, but maybe we should give Richards another punt at centre half, and try him and Onuoha at the back together, and see how it works out?? Kompany at centre half, I'm not sure. In the home match against Boro, they were clean through the middle at times, and it needed Given to save us.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6539907.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 539907.ece</a>

Times go with 12mil bid being lined up for Toure

Richards looks very good at under 21 level, after that great season he had i still think he could be a class centre back.
Most of all i think he really wants it, wouldn't be surprised if he came back next season a much better player. He needs someone to look up to and learn off though. Is it possible he misses the influence of Corluka? A real calm, experienced defender?

(however he does seem to be twice the size of most players at under 21 level)

Disagree with Micah at CB. I dont think we can have a top 5 finish with TWO inexperienced youngsters in the middle of the defense. We are crying out for a big time defensive general (a take charge type) at that position.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.