Where are the Gareth Barry critics?

OrigamiNinja said:
BIG DONKEY said:
lol yeah he was great in England v Germany. Plus he made a mistake which could of lead to United being 1-0 up after 10 minutes.

The Barry lovers have conveniently forgotten about this. I dont want to knock any player after yesterday but this thread is a farce, anyone would think Barry is a reborn Xavi!

Is Barry playin better now because we have switched from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 and playing barry iin his preferred DM role rather than CM ? Just guessing :P

OrigamiNinja said:
BIG DONKEY said:
lol yeah he was great in England v Germany. Plus he made a mistake which could of lead to United being 1-0 up after 10 minutes.

The Barry lovers have conveniently forgotten about this. I dont want to knock any player after yesterday but this thread is a farce, anyone would think Barry is a reborn Xavi!

He's just not adequate.

In cup games and lesser PL sides that don't have great pace but love to thug it out, Barry works. When the whole team is in a frenzy, like Chelsea(h), Liverpool(h) and last night, he works.

But short of that, he doesn't.

He doesn't have the closing speed to be effective at defending pacey midfields. He doesn't have the passing like Xabi Alonso to punish clubs who overplay their press. Arsenal can press, put 1 CB back to defend, and run around Barry all day, as they did on both occasions. They needn't worry about Barry peppering the ball about 30 yards upfield on the counter because he can't.

Ignore the music and go to 0:46 of this video. This is what we need out of that position besides just tackling.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXZp_HmYpg[/youtube]

I'm a critic and will stay so. However, I will say he had one of his better games, this season, and that's not saying too much, is it?

I'll be honest, after the Dipper fiasco, I thought he'd see the bench only. But playing Milner means Yaya switching sides and playing deeper, so all-in-all Mancini proved right to keep the man in the starting line up.

It is possible to have good game without being brilliant or fantastic and I think that's what Barry did yesterday. Far from perfect but as we upped the game and properly got at the scum he was a key part in what went on.Trouble seems to be that if you don't do something special in a game you are often deemed to not have had a good game.

Balotelli similarly.He wasnt great by any stretch of the imagination but he did have one of his better games.

Kinky Dribbler said:
Big game player.

Yep, he usually seems to save his best for the big games. Chelsea at home this season he was magnificent.

They were all great yesterday though, even kolarov :D

Got him on the back of my home shirt. Rated him since he joined, undercredited professional who deserves praise for yesterday's performance.

Never really understood the 7/10 label that seems to be ascribed to him by various sources. For me, he's usually either very good (e.g. yesterday) or utterly dreadful (e.g. Monday).

Not a Barry-hater as such, but there are MUCH better players in his position out there, that would revolutionize our midfield. And we can afford them.

That said, he's done a good job this season, and never complained. He'll still be an important squad player next season, even if we do strengthen that area.

Don't know which match you lot were watching but it was another Mr Blobby like performance from Barry. The unsung hero yesterday was Nigel, quietly but effectively going about his business. I think Barry is the new Richard Dunne, you either love him or hate him. Give me a back row of De jong's and Gerry Gow's any day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.