Where are the Gareth Barry critics?

Johnsonontheleft said:
Barry was immense yesterday for us. His pressure led to the goal and his overall work rate and play was exceptional.

A few days ago Talkshite were slagging him off saying that Carrick deserved the place in the England team more than him.

Thank you Gareth - a top blue.

You asked 'where are the barry critics'? Well Im here! He did OK = 6/10 - an exceptional performance on the basis of what we normally get from him. But, he was still the weak link in the side - far too slow in thought and deed ( remember how exasperated YAYA was with him when he failed to lay on the obvious pass late on? ).
Dont get carried away, he did just about OK - but for an International and future of City in Europe etc - I dont think so still. Answer your question?

Barry is the interesting type. I don't think that its because he's inconsistent, I'm just not sure how much he has left. Although it was a crunching performance from him, it doesn't overturn the fact that we could use better. Still can be a quality bench player for us. He's left footed too and that helps.<br /><br />-- Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:17 pm --<br /><br />
ANY1aBLUE said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
Barry was immense yesterday for us. His pressure led to the goal and his overall work rate and play was exceptional.

A few days ago Talkshite were slagging him off saying that Carrick deserved the place in the England team more than him.

You asked 'where are the barry critics'? Well Im here! He did OK = 6/10 - an exceptional performance on the basis of what we normally get from him. But, he was still the weak link in the side - far too slow in thought and deed ( remember how exasperated YAYA was with him when he failed to lay on the obvious pass late on? ).
Dont get carried away, he did just about OK - but for an International and future of City in Europe etc - I dont think so still. Answer your question?
This is what I meant to say but you articulated the thought far better than I. Still think he did more than Ok yesterday though.

ANY1aBLUE said:
Johnsonontheleft said:

Listen son Mancini gives Barry a job to do every match - it happens to be different every game and that is why he 'appears' and sometimes does not seem like he is around - he is doing a f'in job and btw doing it well - he is actually a really important player for citry and without him they would be serverly lacking- so please my son learn a bit about football stop slagging Barry off and get behiond your team - trust the gaffer to do his work and let the team do theirs jobs, each player has a job to do; they cannot all be brilliant playmakers .scorers, dribblers some of them have to carry the f'in water and that's exactly what Barry does so please stop the foaming and the moaning

kevodevo said:
ANY1aBLUE said:
Listen son Mancini gives Barry a job to do every match - it happens to be different every game and that is why he 'appears' and sometimes does not seem like he is around - he is doing a f'in job and btw doing it well - he is actually a really important player for citry and without him they would be serverly lacking- so please my son learn a bit about football stop slagging Barry off and get behiond your team - trust the gaffer to do his work and let the team do theirs jobs, each player has a job to do; they cannot all be brilliant playmakers .scorers, dribblers some of them have to carry the f'in water and that's exactly what Barry does so please stop the foaming and the moaning

Very well said, the lad was white as a sheet at the end through sheer effort, thought he was gonna thow up. Like you say, its a matter of balance and not everybody in a successful team needs to be a headline maker.

He was excellent yesterday, as was the whole team.

It just seems to me, that if De Jong had done what Barry did, he would have been lauded and praised lavishly and conversly if Barry did what De Jong did, he would be severely critised. Their reputation precedes both of them.

The truth lies in the middle - they are both good squad players but we should be looking for replacements for both of them IMO.

Sahin + Moussa Sissoko

kevodevo said:
ANY1aBLUE said:

Hi Dad! Thanks for that nonsence............Im entitled to a critical opinion and I was at Wembley to 'get behind my team' as I was when I was at Mansfield Town - so paternal lectures not required.
Brry isnt good enough for a Top Four side and wouldnt get anywhere near any of the other teams starting eleven. End of.

-- Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:35 am --

80s Shorts said:
kevodevo said:

Very well said, the lad was white as a sheet at the end through sheer effort, thought he was gonna thow up. Like you say, its a matter of balance and not everybody in a successful team needs to be a headline maker.

well if the testiment of being 'good enough' is chundering, then I might still have a chance - I'll get me boots......................<br /><br />-- Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:37 am --<br /><br />
Sabster said:
He was excellent yesterday, as was the whole team.

It just seems to me, that if De Jong had done what Barry did, he would have been lauded and praised lavishly and conversly if Barry did what De Jong did, he would be severely critised. Their reputation precedes both of them.

The truth lies in the middle - they are both good squad players but we should be looking for replacements for both of them IMO.

Sahin + Moussa Sissoko

No, NDJ is a world class holding midfield player who will be with us hopefully for many years. Barry is not. Sell him back to Villa or Everton or Newcastle.

Gareth played well , and worked very hard .... but for me the real Citys stars were Yaya , Kompany and De Jong ..... they provided the real backbone to that win !

Gary Owen: City fans are a great lot
April 19, 2011

Share Article| Submit Comments | Comments (29) | Printable Version Close Map
Seventy-two hours on – and I still haven’t seen Yaya’s goal!

If Mr Toure felt like he was buried under an avalanche after scoring the winner at Wembley, I know exactly how he felt.

And no sooner had I emerged from the scrum, and I was being press-ganged into doing the Poznan, bouncing along with everyone else.

I was offered the chance to do various bits of media work for the semi, but turned them all down because, for once, I just wanted to be with the fans, to soak up what promised to be a great occasion.

I wasn’t disappointed. The whole day was just magnificent, and reminded me of what a great lot City fans are.

As a player, you tend not to be too involved with what the fans are up to – it can be an alien experience, especially for modern-day footballers.

Nervous

So it’s a reality check sometimes to go and sit amongst the fans, where you can feel the raw hunger, the joy and the nervous desperation oozing out of every pore of every fan.

You got the feeling that the players out on the pitch have come to understand exactly what Saturday meant to City fans, and what the FA Cup final will also mean.

It is unfair to single out individuals as it was a very good team performance, but Vincent Kompany, Nigel de Jong, Gareth Barry and Joe Hart were magnificent. They are the type of players who have bought into what City are about, and down the years that has been a rewarding side to being involved at City.

I’ve lost count of the number of ex-City players who have contacted me since Saturday saying how delighted they are.

City gets you like that. Not many players leave without taking with them a lump of affection for the club, and that tends to stay with you for life.

Of course, the old City would lose the final to Stoke and slip into fifth place in the Premier League, just to dump those loyal fans back to earth.

But the old City maybe would have allowed United an undeserved last-minute equaliser, rather than seeing the game out and dominating the Reds in the second half.

You get the feeling that the players we have now will not let that happen, and hopefully we can look forward to one of the happiest months of May in the club’s history

This is what Gary Owen said on MEN. I tend to agree with him. Barry had a good game and was up there with the best (imo).

I like Barry. Rate him even. But his position is the one most in need of an upgrade. A real ball player with a bit of pace would make an enormous difference to the balance and dynamic of the side. Imagine the Nasri of 2010 there, when Cesc was out and Wenger played him in the middle. Add the strength and power of Yaya, and the steel of De Jong and you have one hell of a midfield, particularly with the likes of Silva and Sanchez as outlets.

I am a self confessed Barry hater, and while I have to stand up and say he played well yesterday( which I have on his other good game this season) I came to the conclusion that he wasn't very good based on this whole season, not based on one game at wembley. I will however start liking him if he performs like that every game, but I will not hold my breath.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.