Where did it go wrong for Roberto Mancini? - new podcast

Is it true he came close to resigning after we won the league in 2012?

As for the Wigan cup final, I just don't get it. There was a major trophy on the line and the players should have been able to put any issues with Mancini to one side just for a day.

I’m not having it,till this day No way were they Bobs buys.

I can believe they were. He'd worked with Maicon at Inter and he was a known fan of Rodwell.

As for the signings...Maicon was going cheap and we just hoped he might rediscover some of his old form. Rodwell as I said Mancini/the hierachy had been a fan of, and who knows how he might have progressed had he stayed fit. I remember a game against Chelsea and the last game of the season against Norwich when he was great. Nastasic I thought was excellent and might well have gone on to be one of the best defenders in the world had things worked out differently. Garcia took 18 months to show his ability, but played a key role in the back end of Manuel's title winning season.

Sinclair was coming in as a replacement for Johnson, and, to be fair, was actually at a similar if not better level to the one Johnson was when he joined from Boro. Johnson showed he could up his game, Sinclair you could just tell Mancini never fancied him. Could easily have done the same as Johnson and broken into the England squad with us but sadly I just don't think Bobby ever took to him. Once you pay your money for somebody I think you have to back them and put your trust in them, and sadly that didn't happen with Scott.

Not getting RVP shouldn't have been so costly though when we already had Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko and Balotelli. Has any team ever had FOUR (proper) forwards of that quality in it's squad?

Letting De Jong leave that summer was a mistake imo.

That Champions League group we got was just horrible - only not winning a game was simply unacceptable. Can't help though but think that had we held on to win that Madrid game though, things would have turned out a lot differently. Character and defensive resillence had been a key part of the success of the previous two seasons and in the last five minutes that night it evaporated.

For my money I think the plan was to fire him 12 months before but winning the title kind of forced their hand into keeping him(not that I agree with either move).

In terms of the Champions League judging anything based on 6 games is unfair especially when you had got a finalist out of your group from pot 4!(and another that lost in the semi-final).

As for the summer signings, it was a really poor summer, you really can't put another spin on it and I wonder if it wasn't at least in part to keep the powder dry for a change in management as it now seems clear the long term plan was to lay the foundations for Pep's arrival.

One last point I think there is a good deal of revisionist history when it comes to Adam Johnson, saying that Sinclear was similar if not better player, City became Sinclear's 10th club, Johnson was seen as the best player outside the top flight in the country before signing. Yes as a human being Johnson is unlikely to win any awards but as a footballer he was a pretty useful weapon for the Mancini era teams. Scott Sinclear was always seen as someone that couldn't take that next step, was he given a fair shot at City? no..... would like to have seen more of him but between the two if my life depended on playing one over the other I think pretty much everyone would agree Johnson would get the nod.

Is it true he came close to resigning after we won the league in 2012?
I was told that he did resign, the day after we won the title. To be precise, he allegedly handed in a resignation letter. It took a couple of months to persuade him to stay and a new contract but that's largely why our transfer business was so poor that summer. We were, to all intents and purposes, without a manager for 2 months.

It's clear in hindsight that the club made a mistake keeping him on but I reckon they were so stung by the criticism they got when they sacked Hughes that they couldn't face another barrage from the media. They knew Soriano and Begiristain would be taking the reins and that Mancini had flat-out refused to work with a DoF. aybe they thought he'd change his mind but that didn't happen.

Where did it all go wrong indeed...
mancini-ad.jpg

I remember we played Arsenal at home and he played Dzeko over Tevez against Mertasaker, if you got asked which of those 2 to play against an aging, slow, 6ft 6in Center half and you picked Dzeko you’d be laughed out of the room
It was clear he was putting his personal feelings above what’s best for City and the team
Time to go Bobby, always love ya though

I was told that he did resign, the day after we won the title. To be precise, he allegedly handed in a resignation letter. It took a couple of months to persuade him to stay and a new contract but that's largely why our transfer business was so poor that summer. We were, to all intents and purposes, without a manager for 2 months.

A generally reliable Russian sports newspaper and website called Sport Express ran an exclusive in late May 2012 that Mancini had signed a contract to become the coach of the Russian national team at a salary of EUR 20 million per year. They even printed photographs of what purported to be the relevant page of the agreement bearing his signature.

The story died a death, but Sport Express continued to maintain - and I believe - that he really did agree and sign an agreement with the head of the Russian Football Union. According to the paper's version of events, the Board of the RFU, under the organisation's charter, had to ratify the contract before it could be signed on the part of the RFU but the Board members refused to approve the deal because they couldn't afford the salary. The head of the RFU had hoped that Roman Abramovich would fund the coach's wages, as he had with previous incumbents Guus Hiddink and Dick Advocaat. However, Abramovich was prepared to pay the salary only of a coach of his choosing - and he wanted Fabio Capello.

Thus the RFU never signed the document and Mancini lost out on the post to his fellow Italian. He signed an extension with City, as you outline, but it was fairly inevitable that he wouldn't last long once Ferran and Txiki rocked up. I disagree that he refused to work with a DoF, by the way. He was prepared to do so - but only one whom he'd personally approved. He was pushing the club to appoint a guy he'd worked with at Inter called Gabriele Oriali and took umbrage when we said no.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.