Where do people think we sit in terms of club football and the top squads in the world?

In terms of quality, I'd rank City fairly high amongst other European giants. But in terms of European EXPERIENCE, City rank near the bottom and that's what ultimately has been their downfall and the reason why they always flatter to deceive in the CL.

The success of our season depends on keeping Aguero, Fernandinho and Yaya fit. We can cope now if Silva is out. De Bruyne is phenomenal in Silva's role. But if Sergio gets his usual muscle injuries, can we stay on track in the league and knock out the big boys in Europe with Bony? The start to his City career hasn't exactly inspired much confidence, he's suffered a lot of bad luck. So that's an issue. And as happy as I am that we signed Delph, I'm not sure Delph and Fernando are good enough cover should we have an injury or suspension ahead of a game v Barca or Real Madrid. In every other position, we almost lose nothing with an injury. Clichy and Zabaleta are unbelievable cover at full back. Otamendi and Demichelis are reliable and I would not be worried with either of them playing a big game. In attacking midfield we have Navas and Nasri as cover which is much better than what most teams have.

We are now in the lap of the gods. We will get injuries, we just need them to not be one of the 3 players I mentioned above. Look at the news that has just broken today. Max Gradel for Bournemouth (their best player probably) is now out for 6 (SIX) months. Seasons can be decided by things like this.

Are you talking about play for player or how the squad works together over the season? Because with an inferior squad to about five other clubs, Atletico work so well together that they're actually not that far behind the very best despite having inferior players and squad player-for-player. In fact if it were a toss up between who i'd like to face in the Round of 16 (should we qualify for it - which we should!) i wouldn't like to face Atleti as much as i'd like to avoid Barca and Madrid.

Going off player-for-player i'd say:
Barca Madrid
Bayern City Cheslea
Paris Atleti Juve Dortmund Arsenal
Porto United

But as i say Atleti are a tougher prospect than they appear to be on paper.

Bookies have us 5th favourite to win Champions League behind Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Chelsea, but odds on favourites to win the Premiership.
But who cares, a few years ago we could only dream about the success we have had, and the standard of football being played. My first game was on a shitty wet Wednesday afternoon in 1949 losing 2-1 to Wolves on a bog of a pitch. I have been through the purple patches of the Revie and the Mercer eras, but they were nothing like what we have today.

I think I'm going to wait until this years CL is over to make a judgement, because we've all thought we had one of the top 5 squads in the world for about 4 seasons now and it would be kind to say we've fallen a little short when up against our supposed competition. If we top our group and get to the semis then we can safely say it's in the top 5.

We'd give any other team on the planet a hard time now,and,with that bit of luck that's needed.....we can win the CL.

We may have the players to challenge in Europe now but i am not sure we have the formation or tactics yet to seriously progress. This group stage will hopefully be different but at times in Europe we have been so far off on our tactics it doesn't matter who plays we will still struggle. I thought we may go 433 in Europe but not seen any sign in the PL of our formation changing.

On paper id say we were top 5 in europe now, but unless we pick the right formation and players in the right games we may well continue to struggle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.