Where have all the Hooligans gone ?

black mamba said:
The trouble was back in the seventies/eighties no matter how much you tried to avoid the trouble you were often 'forced' to get embroiled in it , or you simply just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time ..... from rival fans ambushing you at train stations , at coach parks , inside and outside of grounds where there was often little or no segregation at all ....... i was there and you often just couldn't escape some of the clashes , the baying hooligan crowds , the hate-filled loonatics waiting for you as you came out of a ground as a match finished , often tooled up with sticks , bricks , knives etc.

From the ambush inside and outside the City ground Nottingham in an early seventies FA Cup match ..... yearly ambushes inside both Anfield and Goodison ..... the daunting (sometimes terrifying) experiences of going to Newcastle , Middlesboro or Chelsea ....... Leeds fans waiting at the station and ground to jump you as you made your way to and back from the game ... Wolves fans pullin' knives on you inside the unsegregated South Bank ........... my mate being told at Cardiff by a yob that he was 'gonna get his fuckin' throat cut' ....... Old Trafford 1974 pitch invasion and infiltration of the away end ......... Cold Blow Lane , Millwall , fighting in the side streets ...... Luton Town , final game of the season , fighting on the pitch with both sets of fans and then being 'air-rifled' outside the station , my mate spent 3 days in hospital after another game there ...... battling with home fans just to get back to our coaches at Spurs ......... visiting West Ham and Birmingham were also bad experiences , to say the least!

You daren't wear any colours outside most grounds back then ...... it just wasn't worth the risk ...... it's a far cry today from the way things were back then for both fans and the police.

Maine Road too wasn't a good place to go for visiting fans and many rival fans were ambushed on it's forecourts , or in surrounding streets ....... i've seen Leeds , Liverpool , Stoke , Villa and Boro fans land up in ambulances as i've been passing by ...... and i've heard about innocent City fans dragged in entries around Moss Side and 'stanley knived' by Liverpool and West Ham fans.

Thank fuck it's seemingly all over ........ wasn't nice following your club back then!

Or is it all over?

Maybe that serious incident outside that pub in Ardwick a couple of years back after a derby match would suggest that none of us can afford to get complacent.

May I ask what happened in Ardwick?

Serious fight between City and United.

One lad very seriously injured indeed. Hasn't recovered I believe.

I for one grew up after being stabbed at W/H but still fuckin hate leeds 1974 was like a war zone glad its all passed and can watch the GAME in piece

Firthy said:
Dont want it at City and if you do, please go and 'support' someone else (Wham, Millwall etc).

Yeah, that George Michael is a right f*cking hoolgan. He'll give your arse a right "kicking"!!!

As a Chelsea fan, who has witnessed loads of trouble down the years (the worst cases being Leeds, Millwall, West Ham and Spurs - no surprises there), I certainly don't miss the hooligans but I DO miss the atmosphere and the whole buzz you had back then.

Throughout the 90's and 2000's policing got much better, surveilance, seated stadiums, clubs going for the family-club outlooks, sky sports and the £££££ etc etc

and i also think the big factor that unemplyment decreased over the 90's and 2000's! in the 80's unemployment was rife and a lot of lads only had football to go to that occupied their life, and even the normal working class family back then had nowt, they were as skint as the unemployed! the country's working class was poor! so all a lot of them had to keep them going was football, and for a lot fighting at the football gave them their only buzz in life!
but look at the country's working class now, some1 might live on a rough estate but they've got a nice Audi parked outside on the street! i know the last year has seen a big turn with the recession but the working class family now is much better off than they were 25-40years ago! with the extra money comes extra responsibilties and more belongings, gadgets, sky+HD and a wide screen tele, items that are woth something (most households have things like this now, years ago they did not!) - they have more to lose - so they prefer to stay away from the easy jail trap that is football hooliganism!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.