Which Bands/Artists Did You See Before They Became Huge?

MCFCTrick

Team supported
Citeh
Did you see Led Zep play the local Poly? Hendrix at the CIS building?

I wish I had.....

For me I suppose it was seeing Queen support Mott The Hoople.

Thin Lizzy at Torquay Town Hall

REM at The Gallery (also the Poly, International 1, and the Ritz)

Ramones supporting Talking Heads at Electric Circus

Japan supporting Blue Oyster Cult at Free Trade Hall.

And one I missed, remember in '81, walking down Tottenham Court Rd in London, and on passing the Dominion (I think) theatre, seeing there was an artist on that night called Prince....said to then girlfriend, 'Heard he supposed to be pretty good' but we were on way to meet friends for a meal and didn't go in....bugger.

saw dire straits support talking heads at sheffield uni in 78, said to my mate they were dire and went to the bar

and then simple minds support someone at the apollo, thought simple minds simple music

and u2 supporting someone at the apollo, they were good

I saw Orchestral Manouvres in the Dark in a club in Hulme circa 1979.

I saw Sad Cafe play Rafters on Oxford Road (Manchester, for any out-of-towners!).

I saw Hall & Oates play in front of about 200 people in the early 1980's.

Saw the Killers @ the Double Door here in Chicago opening up for a band that i don't even remember now in front of about 200 people before they had even released an album.

I saw the Strokes opening up for Doves on their first US tour in Detroit. It actually got even better. They had played in Toronto the night before so when they were crossing the border, The Strokes van was stopped and the customs officers found some "seeds" in the van. Doves wound up playing first after waiting for awhile. After Doves finished they urged everyone to stay and see this great opening band in the hall/bar underneath the venue Doves had played at. Probably only about 50-100 people stayed afterwards. It was like playing in a classroom. Doves stayed after and were hanging out with the fans and watching The Strokes. I was wearing a City shirt so wound up striking up a conversation and having a few drinks with the band (Doves) while we all watched this ace band. Great, great night.

Saw Interpol @ the Academy in Manchester as part of an NME tour back in 2004 or 2005. It was before they had released their first album anyways.

That's all I have.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E73HV452wk[/youtube]

saw this lot in march 1980,was my wedding day.
me and my best man popped out for a couple of quick ones.
we thought they were total shit tbh.
what do i know.

My dad was an old style club drummer (think Pheonix Nights) and he "backed" loads of acts that went on to become famous.
One that springs to mind was a guy called Gerry Dorsey. My dad drummed for him at the Benchill Hotel in Wythenshawe in the early sixties (I think).
Who's Gerry Dorsey?

Englebert Humperdink ;O) (snigger)

Gaudino said:
Did you see Led Zep play the local Poly? Hendrix at the CIS building?

I wish I had.....

For me I suppose it was seeing Queen support Mott The Hoople.

Thin Lizzy at Torquay Town Hall

REM at The Gallery (also the Poly, International 1, and the Ritz)

Ramones supporting Talking Heads at Electric Circus

Japan supporting Blue Oyster Cult at Free Trade Hall.

And one I missed, remember in '81, walking down Tottenham Court Rd in London, and on passing the Dominion (I think) theatre, seeing there was an artist on that night called Prince....said to then girlfriend, 'Heard he supposed to be pretty good' but we were on way to meet friends for a meal and didn't go in....bugger.

Haha nice one mate you and me must have deen each other a few times I saw
like you
Queen REM and Japan however can you say Japan made it big? I remember that night at the free trade hall everyone waiting for blue oyster cult and their laser show and Japan all in black suits and make up, then the bottles of manns brown ale being aimed at them haha. The good old days.
Mate I'm sending you a pm as you can help me with some info re travel after youre visit to liverpool to see Macca.
Hope you can help

Green Day at the boardwalk in Manchester was a good one...

First ever gig I went to was a band called Kingmaker at the Uni in 1992, and Radiohead were the support act.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.