Which Bands/Artists Did You See Before They Became Huge?

Haven't seen many that have become "huge" but have seen a couple that have at least garnered a fair bit of mainstream success (in both cases undeservedly!)

A band i used to be in played with the king blues before they picked up by a major label, they were decent enough at the time but I do think they have been shocking ever since. I also saw get cape wear cape fly at the phoenix at some all-dayer, he made the crowd of about 20 uncomfortably sing ba ba ba ba ba ba to one of his wank songs that became a minor hit on game radio.

I guess the gaslight anthem are pretty popular now, saw their first uk gig at the roadhouse a few years back, they were pretty average. Pretty crazy that they were joined by Bruce Springsteen on one of their tunes at Glastonbury.

Led Zep at Manchester Uni in 1968 - does that count

I even er "borrowed" a students union card from Stretford Tech on Talbot Road - I was going to Stretford Grammar School at the time - and stuck my picture in it so I could get a ticket

not huge but pigeon detectives were big - i saw them bout 5 years ago for £1.50 at selby town hall

Went to a gig in the Dandelion Market in Dublin as a schoolboy, as a classmate was in a band called The Sussed. There was about 5 bands on the bill. They were all shite in my opinion, including the one called U2 :-)

Paid £5 on the door to see Oasis in Birmingham at Edward No. 8 before DM was released. Also saw The Stone Roses at Park Lane in Shrewsbury. And saw Duffy supporting Paul Heaton at The Glee Club in Birmingham before she was heard of.

the smiths @ the hac, although some will argue they were already big in the indie circuit by then....missed out on the madonna gig ;p

happy mondays @ mcr student union, when the bass amp blew up and shaun ryder penned his famous lyrics "Turn it uppppppp"

inspirals @ mcr student union around 88

the charlatans backing stone roses @ empress ballroom blackpool

mcfcinprague said:
Led Zep at Manchester Uni in 1968 - does that count

I am jealous as fcuk. Green with envy. Yer bastid.... ; )

And relating to the REM gig at the Ritz (after the Gallery, Ply etc, it felt like they were massive then, lol) anyone remember the encore they did of Toys In The Attic by Aerosmith?
All the indie types didn't have a clue what the song was and woulda been mortified to know they were blowing their indie 'cool' to be dancing and cheering a song by hard rock legends* the 'Smiffs.......lmfao

* pre-clean up, natch

Nowhere near as good as some of the ones mentioned already, but I saw Mika a few weeks before it really took off for him. Not usually my kind of thing but was offered tickets in a pub for £3 each and said what the hell. There were about 80-120 people there and he said it was the biggest crowd he'd ever seen, almost got emotional about it all too on stage.

He seemed to have a little following even then amongst the ladies and the effeminate - I clearly remember a group of about 4-5 large ladies who bounced for Britain when he did Big Girl You Are Beautiful. The little room literally shook.

Saw Joy Division support the Buzzcocks years back. Maybe doesn't quite count as they had a following already.

Saw The Courteeners at a small place about 3 years ago. Also Razorlight, Editors, Subways. Ok none of them absolutely huge but still good to see them before they were known. Also The Answering Machine on one of their first few gigs.

Biggest one for me is seeing Springsteen & The E Street Band at the Apollo in 1981. Ok Apollo standard you could say they are already big but this was before BRuce became absolutely huge, before stadium tours and all that.

Biggest miss was turning down a ticket to see a band called U2 before they were really known. A mate was going and I'd heard of them but said no to it. Doh !

Mondays supporting New Order at Macclesfield Leisure centre. They did the same with James and the Railway children but i'm struggling to remember the venues. Must have been 83/84ish if someone can help with my amnesia...?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.