Which Bands/Artists Did You See Before They Became Huge?

Ric said:
First ever gig I went to was a band called Kingmaker at the Uni in 1992, and Radiohead were the support act.

Kingmaker...there's a blast from the past!

Saw David Gray at the Academy 3 and the one and only time at a concert they were giving away tikets outside. He'd just released White Ladder. He then went to play the MEN on the back of the same album I think

I did see Rem at The Gallery, Ritz and International 1

I also saw Stone Roses ( being called Bone Noses) at The Gallery.

Also Steve Coogan supporting his brtohers band there too.

I saw Southern Death Cult at Rafters before the became The Cult.

I saw Oasis at The Roadhouse.

Courteeners at various pubs in north Manchester.

Coldplay, Killers and Franz Ferdinand at Night & Day

Probably loads more.

I saw The Darkness at Academy 3. Who remembers them? "I believe in a thing called love" etc.

A friend of a friend predicted they would be the next big thing so I bought a late ticket. There were about 100 of us there.

The Stone Roses at International 1, round the corner from my secondary school. Their dodgy manager Gareth Evans owned the venue and his offices were across the Anson Road and up a flight of stairs. We used to go in there to blag posters and stuff, and various members of the band were usually in there. Got free tickets for a few gigs just for being cheeky enough to ask.
Used to love gigs but not been to one for a year or two now.
Saw the U2 support slot at the Apollo, it was Stiff Little Fingers. Next door neighbour worked there and blagged me in underage.

kippax_blueboy said:
Courteeners at various pubs in north Manchester.

Fair play to The Courteeners. They gigged and gigged and gigged to pick up a fanbase and took it from there.

Interestingly, their Manager tells me that the clique in Manchester have given them no support whatsoever.

Went to see Elvis Costello in 1983 and Aztec Camera were support and bloody good too!
Saw Inspiral Carpets early 1989 and support was 808 State / MC Tunes who were boo'd between every song for not being indie.....
by the end of the year they were selling out GMEX!

I saw Altered Images in 1982 and a Flock Of Seagulls were support!!

Three years ago, a friend of mine in the music biz asked me to go to a gig in Islington Mill as a small local record company were having a special showcase evening. The last band came on, did 5 songs (that's all they had!) and all 30 of us in the room just knew they were going to do well. City fan and Hacienda DJ / M People man Mike Pickering was there too and snapped them up with a major deal. A year later The Ting Tings were number 1 in the charts!

I caught the Police when they were on tour as support for the Albertos Y Los Trios Paranios. (A & M records released Roxanne five times before it finally got in the charts).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.