Which BB speed testers do you trust?

Centurions

We've recently had FTTP enabled in the area and I've changed to Sky Ultrafast 1 (150Mbps) via overhead wire to a brand new CSU box on the outside wall and a new ONT internally. It's only been a week but I'm given to understand that FTTP doesn't need to 'stabilise' as FTTC or copper pair need to.

The trouble is, speedtest.net (via the Windows App and website both) has my DL speed all over the place from >70Mbps to 150Mbps even if I do successive tests. Fast.com always shows 150Mbps without fail.

This is from a hard wired desktop Win10 PC with nothing else active.

Sky gave it the expected "you have to give it 10 days to settle" which I think is bollocks.

Is it speedtest.net that's screwed and I'm worrying about nothing or is there a better way to test?

We've recently had FTTP enabled in the area and I've changed to Sky Ultrafast 1 (150Mbps) via overhead wire to a brand new CSU box on the outside wall and a new ONT internally. It's only been a week but I'm given to understand that FTTP doesn't need to 'stabilise' as FTTC or copper pair need to.

The trouble is, speedtest.net (via the Windows App and website both) has my DL speed all over the place from >70Mbps to 150Mbps even if I do successive tests. Fast.com always shows 150Mbps without fail.

This is from a hard wired desktop Win10 PC with nothing else active.

Sky gave it the expected "you have to give it 10 days to settle" which I think is bollocks.

Is it speedtest.net that's screwed and I'm worrying about nothing or is there a better way to test?
Sorry can’t suggest better tester but I’m certainly interested in any answers as we have FTTP and are on their Ultrafast 1.
I recall reading after we had it done that there’s actually a faster type of WiFi now - which sky don’t seem to offer - so unless I use a cabled connection all the time, my speeds as a user will be limited by that anyway!

There are IT experts on here that can provide more sophisticated answers. In my experience Speedtest is still probably the best out there.

For most accurate results I use a wired connection to the router; make sure nothing else is connected; I also turn off stuff that runs in the background on PC such as virus software.

Give it ten days to settle down sounds like the IT version of "the cheque is in the post".

Mine improved by changing channels on the router

Sorry can’t suggest better tester but I’m certainly interested in any answers as we have FTTP and are on their Ultrafast 1.
I recall reading after we had it done that there’s actually a faster type of WiFi now - which sky don’t seem to offer - so unless I use a cabled connection all the time, my speeds as a user will be limited by that anyway!
"faster type of WiFi"? The Sky routers support 2.4Ghz & the better 5Ghz WiFi signal if that's what you're referring to. The speed to the device will depend on the strength of signal and of course the spec of the device itself as not all support 5Ghz speeds.

Edit: the frequency of the signal doesn't affect the speed directly (I think) but its range and subsequent strength. Both are more than capable of supporting way more than 150Mbps throughput but there's a lot of variables involved with WiFi which is why you should always test while hard wired to the router.

There are IT experts on here that can provide more sophisticated answers. In my experience Speedtest is still probably the best out there.

For most accurate results I use a wired connection to the router; make sure nothing else is connected; I also turn off stuff that runs in the background on PC such as virus software.

Give it ten days to settle down sounds like the IT version of "the cheque is in the post".

Mine improved by changing channels on the router
Exactly how I test it.

Changing channels will only affect WiFi, not an ethernet port connected device.

"faster type of WiFi"? The Sky routers support 2.4Ghz & the better 5Ghz WiFi signal if that's what you're referring to. The speed to the device will depend on the strength of signal and of course the spec of the device itself as not all support 5Ghz speeds.
I’m talking about WiFi 6, which Sky q don’t offer. Apparently that is the quickest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.