Who actually owns City?

I agree - on the muffin. You’re possibly right on the Villa stuff too. They would’ve looked at most clubs but the real contenders were LFC, NUFC, EFC, AFC and us. There’s lots been said in the papers (and elsewhere) about that time and the involvement of various people (much of it wrong or a story put out to create a different narrative) but consistent messages came from Cook, Simon Pearce, Khaldoon, Vicky and others in interviews…. They all agreed it was a chip muffin!
Is Vicky still at the club? I haven't seen her on any of the Inside City stuff for a long time. Asking for a friend, you understand?

That’s never been mentioned to me but it’s possible. I doubt they would’ve offered more than the overall package with City and as Petrusha mentioned Thaksin’s takeover had made it a relatively straightforward task which may not have been possible at Villa or the others. Having said that Thaksin wanted to retain some control and they had to give him a 10% stake (approx and from memory so forgive me if the percentage is different).

What they did which I think was genius was say to him ‘you can have your 10% but every shareholder will be expected to invest at the same rate as us, so if you can’t do that your percentage will reduce on a pro rata basis’ (I’m paraphrasing of course).

That meant that every time they spent £10m he was committed to spend £1m and if he couldn’t his shareholding would reduce accordingly. By the time they made the big investments he struggled to even buy a chip muffin/barm/bap/teacake (delete as applicable).

It says it all about the post takeover position of Thaksin that for the 2012 derby he was sat/stood in the South Stand level 1 because there were no places available to him in director/corporate areas.
Your memory is good.
It was 90%/10%

21/9/08 - City v Portsmouth 6-0... Shinawatra raises Khaldoon's arm aloft at the front of the directors box.

Khaldoon hated it and is quoted as saying he looked back on that day knowing he had to take over Shinawatra's 10% and have full control

21/09/09 - exactly 1 year later ADUG owned 100%

Your memory is good.
It was 90%/10%

21/9/08 - City v Portsmouth 6-0... Shinawatra raises Khaldoon's arm aloft at the front of the directors box.

Khaldoon hated it and is quoted as saying he looked back on that day knowing he had to take over Shinawatra's 10% and have full control

21/09/09 - exactly 1 year later ADUG owned 100%
Correct. The idea was that Khaldoon was simply going to come in, low key etc and if you notice who sits where they tried to have a gap between Khaldoon and Thaksin. They did not want an exhibition but Thaksin was determined to make it look like ‘I’ve brought this man in’.

Correct. The idea was that Khaldoon was simply going to come in, low key etc and if you notice who sits where they tried to have a gap between Khaldoon and Thaksin. They did not want an exhibition but Thaksin was determined to make it look like ‘I’ve brought this man in’.
Thanks to you all for these nuggets of info. @petrusha @Gary James @Pablo ZZZ Peroni

Brilliant to read. Very interesting

Is Vicky still at the club? I haven't seen her on any of the Inside City stuff for a long time. Asking for a friend, you understand?
She left about a year or so ago. Done very much under the radar, with no official announcement or recognition of her many years of dedicated service.

I was assured it was her choice, wishing to spend more time with her younger daughter before she went to uni but, rather cynically, I have my doubts.

She left about a year or so ago. Done very much under the radar, with no official announcement or recognition of her many years of dedicated service.

I was assured it was her choice, wishing to spend more time with her younger daughter before she went to uni but, rather cynically, I have my doubts.
Cheers. How long was she with the club; did she join with the takeover, or was she here in the Thaksin/Bernstein days? I loved her barely restrained smirk as "Scholesy"™ trudged past her after getting sent off in the semi final in 2012.

Cheers. How long was she with the club; did she join with the takeover, or was she here in the Thaksin/Bernstein days? I loved her barely restrained smirk as "Scholesy"™ trudged past her after getting sent off in the semi final in 2012.
She joined the club in 2001, so was at City for over 20 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.