Who did you play with or against in school or youth football who made it big time and what were they like as youngsters

We played in the Durham County schools semi final. Our manager/teacher insisted we play the semi in a blizzard as the oppositions best player was out playing for England. We were winning 1 0 when our keeper got injured. I then had to go in goal for the last 10 minutes and made a tremendous howler to allow them to equalise in the 90th minute. We then had to travel to theirs to play the replay. At this point I was told to man mark their star man, the one and only, Gazza. Final result Dunston 4, Crook Parkside 2. Gazza scored 3 & I brought him down for the penalty for the other goal.
When I started reffing I did a charity match at Tow Law. For 1 side there was Steve Howey, Chris Waddle and Alan Shoulder. Waddle played centre half & I can honestly say I have never seen anyone with a touch like his.
Also at school I was in the same class as Colin "Gem" Archer & a couple of years below was Eds Chester, the drummer for the Bluetones

Played against Paul Scholes as an U12 and U13 at grassroots and against Nicky Butt for school. In our grassroots team was Jon Macken and a lad called Steven “Riser” Riley who was part of that Class of 92, and is a massive blue. We had an unreal team and remember winning a lot more than we lost. Think there was a league and cup double. Despite Riser leaving that lot, pretty sure Scholes and Riser remained mates and Scholes refers to Riser on that Neville documentary regarding going into town for a beer with him after training every week.

Also remember Nicky Butt and his school camping with a number of schools at Benllech in Anglesey (circa 1983/84). We were in the tent opposite and we’re good mates with Wilbraham school (a bunch of hard nuts). Remember the Wilbraham lot flying into Nicky Butts tent and giving them all a good hiding. Must only have been 10yrs old at the time. Tough lads.

Played against Wes Brown regularly when I was maybe 11 - 14 he was at Fletcher Moss.

He was very good on the ball but had little defending to do. Most of their team was on the books at city or rags.

Played against Ronnie Wallwork many times and competed against him in cross country the fucker was a genetic freak as a 15/16 year old kid!
He pissed all the races and slapped our school team about scoring shitloads on his own he was a unit the rag bastard!

played for Park Grove a small school in York(i know you all were there 28 years later) and we played in a league with similar sized schools. Five mins walk was Haxby Road school much bigger and we never played them,until we have a friendly and who is held back till the last 20 mins but the future manager of England Steve Mclaren. We were both around 10/11 but he was sort of 4 years better.

Played against Phil Whelan when he was about 17, he went on to play for Ipswich, Boro, Oxford and Southend. I was warned about him before the game that he was just about to turn pro and I would have a hard game. Ran him ragged and couldn't understand what the fuss was.
Also played v him in the Stockport junior league. He was big and physical more than anything. Knew him later at college, nice guy though. Headteacher now I believe.

Last edited:
Use to be another lad called Gaz Fitzgerald who came through at the same time from Ashton, played for City up-to reserve level. Both very good players.
Double claim here - Gaz used to come into the pub where I worked, remember he drank lager and blackcurrant. Used to come in tea time and usually on his own. Quiet lad.

And then I was same class/form as Steve Wigley at AGS. Main thing I remember was he was hopeles at maths - sat next to him and used to help him out and usually do his homework for him! A few years later saw him playing for Forest reserves at Preston North End (I was there because I was friends with one of PNE player's girlfriend) and thought WTF, I know that number 7!

I used to play against Nicky Summerbee as a young lad, he played for Poynton whilst I played for Bramhall.

Funny story, was probably around under 15’s and Nick was head and shoulders better than anyone, anyway he went on a weaving run and tried to play the ball one side of me whilst running round me the other side, I stood my ground and planted my shoulder firmly into his face and knocked him flat on the floor. Mike was on the sideline and was apoplectic with rage, screaming abuse at the ref to send me off, f’ing and jeffing about what a disgrace I was, only to realise that he was stood next to my father (a big fella god rest his soul) who proceeded to square up to Mike defending me. Everyone had to pile over to split them up and save Mike from a slap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.