Who is bigger in Manchester? City or Utd?

I've always found this debate a bit pointless. They may well have more fans than us but frankly, who needs fans like they have?

A few comments after reading this thread.... The Adam Brown survey into season ticket holders has been used by several people to say that one team had more fans in Manchester than the other, but statistics can be used in lots of ways and I wrote a chapter on these stats and other fan based research in Manchester A Football History. The conclusions I reached using the same data were:

- City's full season ticket list was not used for some reason (City had around 25000 season tickets in 2002 - a self imposed limit at Maine Rd - when this was done, but only about 16000 were included)
- the postcodes were not reflective of Manchester specifically, for example many west Manchester codes were used covering areas that are not normally considered Manchester while some Tameside areas were not included. Similarly some postcodes for SK, OL, WA etc were used but others not, so it was neither a Manchester, nor Greater Manchester survey.
- season tickets are not the only way to identify support
- my own analysis in the book painted each district red or blue depending on which team had most season ticket holders in that area. Almost all West Manc ended up red and almost all east Manc Blue.

Finally, religion matters to those who are passionate about it, and Manchester's religious 'split' is not something that has been strong in City's history.

As early as 1900 City was known for its Jewish support, as well as welcoming others in. See my research for mention of Jewish support <a class="postlink" href="http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14660970.2014.961378?src=recsys#.VJ5uNcpAsIA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... J5uNcpAsIA</a> back in 1900. It's free to download

Gary James said:
A few comments after reading this thread.... The Adam Brown survey into season ticket holders has been used by several people to say that one team had more fans in Manchester than the other, but statistics can be used in lots of ways and I wrote a chapter on these stats and other fan based research in Manchester A Football History. The conclusions I reached using the same data were:

- City's full season ticket list was not used for some reason (City had around 25000 season tickets in 2002 - a self imposed limit at Maine Rd - when this was done, but only about 16000 were included)
- the postcodes were not reflective of Manchester specifically, for example many west Manchester codes were used covering areas that are not normally considered Manchester while some Tameside areas were not included. Similarly some postcodes for SK, OL, WA etc were used but others not, so it was neither a Manchester, nor Greater Manchester survey.
- season tickets are not the only way to identify support
- my own analysis in the book painted each district red or blue depending on which team had most season ticket holders in that area. Almost all West Manc ended up red and almost all east Manc Blue.

Finally, religion matters to those who are passionate about it, and Manchester's religious 'split' is not something that has been strong in City's history.

As early as 1900 City was known for its Jewish support, as well as welcoming others in. See my research for mention of Jewish support <a class="postlink" href="http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14660970.2014.961378?src=recsys#.VJ5uNcpAsIA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... J5uNcpAsIA</a> back in 1900. It's free to download
I had no idea only 16,000 of City's 25,000 season ticket holders were included in that survey.

Utd have always drawn a very big support from Irish Catholics. It's not like they were Glasgow Celtic who were specifically set up for the Irish community in Glasgow. The absence of an Irish football tradition has meant that loads of Irish football fans have followed a successful english Team.

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
It could have been 10 said:
dom said:
Well said, that man... everything else is just tomorrow's chip wrappers

It's been my experience that every city fan I meet or associate with is a well - rounded individual with a good sense of humour ,great company to be with & around. And even tho we all love City we do tend to have an interest in other things & have other topics to talk about.

Whereas your average rag has no sense of humour, take themselves too seriously, only ever talk about nitid & nothing else, tend to be loud mouth boors & generally have the intelligence & intellect of a 10 year old. I remember many years ago I was flicking channels on the remote & had the misfortune to come across a live rag match. Just at that moment the camera went on a banner in the crowd which said "Nitid first, kids second, wife third". I thought to myself that just about sums you shower of wankers up.

Also, rags love to dish it out, but can't take it, to save their lives.

Tell me about it. These fookers won't even say morning to me when we're flying and they're losing. When the table turns(not very often) they suddenly want to talk football. Can't stand shit house 'fans' like that.

One rag was taking the piss out of our bad champs league start. Obviously we ended up goin through. I then put 'humble pie shares have gone through the roof' on facebook. The next day this guy totally flipped out at work. It was beautiful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.