Who now then?...

Ferna was one of the weakest links during CL knockouts. I think after the Liverpool defeat it became obvious that City need a press-resistant 'regista' with good one-touch passing and vision, not another energetic midfielder. Of all elite players only 3 fit this description - Busquets, Weigl and Jorginho. Busquets isn't gettable, Weigl had a very poor season after the ankle injury. So, Jorginho's readymade high-class alternatives simply don't exist. Other 'compromise' solutions (Nzonzi? Seri?) aren't much better than Delph/Gundogan in DM position.

De Jong has a skillset of a 8 and is probably Barca-bound. Can't see him playing as a DM in a proper league.

Fred, Kovacic, Ndombele, Lemina are basically another 'Dinhos', doubt that Pep is interested in such player anymore. Ndombele is talented but quite raw from what I've seen and would cost too much.

It actually makes sense to postpone the decision for a year, scout upcoming youngsters and give a chance to our own young players. Claudio Gomes has a reputation of a huge talent, who knows - he could be seen as a viable solution next summer.
I think you've just perfectly summed up the club's thinking.

Leandro Paredes, plays for Zenit. This youtube compilation is from the season before when he played for Roma. Only 24 years old, would only cost us about 35-40m max I would think.

Wouldn't be extremely difficult to obtain seeing as the player would be very keen to move up a level in his career and play in the Premier League. Can't say I've seen a right lot of him, but from the footage he looks like he has something about him. Superb passer of a ball from deep, lost count the amount of times he found Salah with a wonderful raking pass or a lovely through ball. Good first touch, quite skilful on the ball, takes up some good positions, looks to have a bit of aggression to his game, good technique of striking and crossing the ball etc. All we really need is someone to provide good competition for Fernandinho, someone who can put the fires out, do all the dirty work cleanly and effectively as possible and someone who can move the ball quickly in transition from defence to attack and punch the balls in between the lines to our more advanced and creative midfielders.

From what I can see from the footage, he fits the bill as to what we are looking for. A young version of Ever Banega. Could be a steal.

Last edited:
I've sat back all summer and remained calm about the whole situation. I thought you know what... Pep isn't going to rest on his laurels, he's relentless, he will bring in exactly what is needed to this football club.

Six months later, Fred gone, Fabinho gone, Torreira gone and now Jorginho gone. Now we have no 3rd choice to pick from after Fred and Jorginho.

The way I see it is, Fernandinho is 33, Silva is 32, Gundogan is injury prone, Delph isn't good enough to hold down a regular place in central midfield and is better suited at left back and Foden is still only so so young. If Fernandinho and Gundogan get injured or suspended, who do we have to fall back on?

I completely understand we absolutely battered the league last season, but I don't think Fernandinho will be anywhere near as durable as last season. He's played in a World Cup, so has Gundogan, they haven't had the summer off like last year. We was missing that final piece of the puzzle and Jorginho was exactly that.

Now the issue I have now is, how naive City were into thinking this brief to the media by De Laurentis was bullshit. We were so naive throughout the transfer process. I completely understand us walking away from the deal, but its the fact we didn't have a clue what was going on through the latter stages, that's what bugs me.

Next season, we will need probably a new CB and a new CM, if Txixi thinks he can get top central midfielders for 40m without budging then he is very very naive. I just hope we have a different approach in the next summer transfer window and we slap the money down on the table, no fucking about. If someone brilliant comes along, we shouldn't refuse to get in a bidding war, we should be taking control of the bidding. If we don't want to get in bidding wars, we better get used to settle for 3rd choices because the very best players like Mbappe will always create bidding wars because they are so so good.

All I've been hearing is, "if the player doesn't wanna play for pep, fuck him". My response to that is, most players want to play for Pep, but if the money isn't right, you won't get the player, it's as simple as that. Money is the biggest motivator in football for any player and that is completely understandable.

We still have 3-4weeks of the window mate...I've got my fingers and toes crossed that we've already started on another option!;) The timing might not be the plan as I'm sure they would have wanted our targets in for pre-season but when the Alves deal fell apart last year, they worked quickly to fill that need with Danilo. I'm hoping they will do the same again.... Pep mentioned a replacement for Yaya when season ended and as you say, I dont think we can expect Fern to go another full season, playing the same amount of minutes, especially after a WC year with little rest....They not going to want to look desperate but I'm sure we've still got time to fill that need, if Pep has a real concern about that position.

We can't go into the new season without another CM, that was the BIGGEST priority all summer.

I am thrilled about the Mahrez signing, but we have so many young players in his position, the key area was in central midfield where we have a few ageing players. We really need to energise and refresh that midfield and keep everyone on their toes.

Lobotka and Leandro Paredes would be two good candidates for me. As long as we get someone in who can push the first team players, I'm all for it. Sadly, I think that is an end to our summer business.

I agree, I think CM/DM is the biggest priority. Lobotka has been mentioned a few times, dont know much about him but many seems to think he could do a job for us. Someone posted he has a release clause, so could be easier to sign?

Delph and Gundogan can do the job! Has Delphs contract ran out? Thought last season was his last year of his contract.

Delph and Gundogan can do the job! Has Delphs contract ran out? Thought last season was his last year of his contract.
Is “doing the job” enough though. I don’t think Gundogan has the physicality to do the role and Delph doesn’t have the technical skill.

I don’t buy into this rumour we don’t have enough time to go for someone else and I fear Pep will be naive to believe we are fine as is with those around us strengthening.

We still have 3-4weeks of the window mate...I've got my fingers and toes crossed that we've already started on another option!;) The timing might not be the plan as I'm sure they would have wanted our targets in for pre-season but when the Alves deal fell apart last year, they worked quickly to fill that need with Danilo. I'm hoping they will do the same again.... Pep mentioned a replacement for Yaya when season ended and as you say, I dont think we can expect Fern to go another full season, playing the same amount of minutes, especially after a WC year with little rest....They not going to want to look desperate but I'm sure we've still got time to fill that need, if Pep has a real concern about that position.

I really hope you are right, but I can't see it happening now.

I'd personally be happy with one of Paredes, Lobotka or Kovacic.

I agree, I think CM/DM is the biggest priority. Lobotka has been mentioned a few times, dont know much about him but many seems to think he could do a job for us. Someone posted he has a release clause, so could be easier to sign?

I think he has a 35m Euro release clause. I'd be all over that. Only young as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.