Who said City couldnt play?

johnny crossan said:
any footage from 1937 around Gary?

I've not identified anything with the League title/trophy - there's film of City playing Germany (yes, the national side) in the Berlin Olmpic Stadium (1st English club to play there). It was, obviously, a highly political game.

Film shows City's Peter Doherty scoring, but at the moment it cannot be viewed online (I have seen it in the past).

I do know that the 1904 FA Cup final was filmed - including the goal - and it was shown in Manchester within days of the final. But so far surviving footage has not been found - I would love to find it!

Rascal said:
407 views of this thread.

Thats fucking wrong... its our history

Who said city couldnt play, city couldnt play

Fucking hell Russ... don't you know 'istreee' didn't start until 40 years ago...

Gary James said:
johnny crossan said:

I've not identified anything with the League title/trophy - there's film of City playing Germany (yes, the national side) in the Berlin Olmpic Stadium (1st English club to play there). It was, obviously, a highly political game.

Film shows City's Peter Doherty scoring, but at the moment it cannot be viewed online (I have seen it in the past).

I do know that the 1904 FA Cup final was filmed - including the goal - and it was shown in Manchester within days of the final. But so far surviving footage has not been found - I would love to find it!
There's so a video where the 1937 team introduce themselves to the camera;

"hi, my name is Erick Brook, number 9, centre forward for Mancheter City... Hi, I'm Frank Swift, number one..."

From what my uncle told me recently 'who said city couldn't play' was actually a chorus and there were quite a few other lines. I think it starts off something like ...'at 3 o'clock the referees whistle blew, Tilson passed to Toseland and down the wing he flew.....who said city couldn't play etc'

I love this thread. Kinda backs up what I was always told by parents etc that in the 30's city had a huge following and united were really a post ww2 club

danburge82 said:
Gary James said:
johnny crossan said:

"hi, my name is Erick Brook, number 9, centre forward for Mancheter City... Hi, I'm Frank Swift, number one..."

I think you're thinking of one of the FA Cup clips (there are a few for 1932 & 1934 - sounds like the one from 1932 - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-hardest-of-hard-luck/query/manchester+city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-h ... ester+city</a> ). There are a few of these all very entertaining, but I can't remember finding one from 1937.

There is footage of Millwall V City in 1937 (FA Cup) but City lost (a major story at the time!).

Gary James said:
danburge82 said:
Gary James said:

I think you're thinking of one of the FA Cup clips (there are a few for 1932 & 1934 - sounds like the one from 1932 - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-hardest-of-hard-luck/query/manchester+city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-h ... ester+city</a> ). There are a few of these all very entertaining, but I can't remember finding one from 1937.

There is footage of Millwall V City in 1937 (FA Cup) but City lost (a major story at the time!).
This was the one I was thinking of.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2gwIlgjm3I[/youtube]
Not quite as I described, very similar to yours. Some great shots of Maine Road on this one!
(it just says 1930's, not a specific year).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.