Who the f*ck is soft Mick..?! and other stupid sayings

BluePurgatory said:
51kippax said:
It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey

The balls were the cannon balls during the Nelson period and the monkey was the young lad who usued to climb on top of the cannon and ram the balls down the gun barrel.

The brass monkey was what they used to store the balls on. You're getting mixed up with a powder monkey, which was the name given to the lads who carried the bags of powder from the ships magazine to the cannons.

2sheikhs said:
BluePurgatory said:
51kippax said:
It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey

The balls were the cannon balls during the Nelson period and the monkey was the young lad who usued to climb on top of the cannon and ram the balls down the gun barrel.
What about the brass?

I dont know but my version sounds better than the stacking one lol

I still don't know why people say "he must be feeling cock a hoop". I don't really want to google it either.

"Your name is mud" Dr. Mudd gave medical help to John Wilkes Booth, who broke his leg while escaping after shooting Lincoln in 1865. Mudd was convicted of being Booth's conspirator, although the evidence against him was ambiguous and circumstantial, and many historians argue that he was innocent of any murderous intent. He has since been pardoned

By hook or by crook was derived from the amount of firewood the peasants could collect from a tree...by hook or by crook.

Sleep tight originated in the victorian times,beds didn't have matresses as such so the fabric that was slept on was tightened by straps underneath

Money for old rope originated at a public hanging.The hangman made up his wages selling the rope from the gallows to people in the crowd after the final whistle.

Tuearts right boot said:
By hook or by crook was derived from the amount of firewood the peasants could collect from a tree...by hook or by crook.

Sleep tight originated in the victorian times,beds didn't have matresses as such so the fabric that was slept on was tightened by straps underneath

Money for old rope originated at a public hanging.The hangman made up his wages selling the rope from the gallows to people in the crowd after the final whistle.
I read the last one in Blackpool in the chamber of horrors. It also explained kick the bucket and pulling your leg.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.