Who was there?

C_T_I_D said:
I've read Colin Bell's autobiography on numerous occasions and I'm just wondering if anyone was actually present upon his return after injury against Newcastle United and the emotion surrounding the place? I've been told that there has never been a louder applause for a City player by a few around me.

i was in my usual place in the kippax, about level with the penalty area scoreboard end. it was some atmosphere.

Was there and I just remember the noise! Never heard anything like it since!

Maine Road, Boxing Day 1977: The first half against Newcastle United ended 0-0. Paul Power was injured and had to throw in the towel. Colin Bell is returning after being out with injury for more than two years. When the team entered the field the crowd erupted, some cried. "The King" had finally returned. The ovation was incredible and the best ever given to a football player. Ever since the infamous tackle by Martin Buchan the supporters had missed their icon. As Peter Swales put it; "You can never kid the supporters. They know great players. Bell was the best, no question." The Manager; Tony Book described the event this way: "I sent the team out and followed them down the tunnel. Halfway down I stopped and listened to the roar. It was amazing. I recall the kids hanging over the tunnel and it began with them shouting; "It's him, it's him", and from there it went around the ground." City won 4-0 and started a 7 game string of victories, kick-starting their championship ambitions.

I was in the North Stand and the first half frankly had been crap, 0-0 written all over it. Then Bell appeared after HT and the roof nearly came off, lots of emotion and not a few tears. The King didn't do a great deal, understandably after such a long absence, but the atmosphere inspired the other players, especially Tueart and we thrashed them in the second half.

Mike N said:
I was in the Kippax that day. Great day.
Me too.,was only 14,but some years after met the king at a supporters meeting and he signed that boxing day programme,true legend

Baron Blueski said:
If memory serves me right 0-0 at HT and 4-0 at full after Bell made his entrance at the start of 2nd half. I was there but I can't remember if we knew before the game that he would make his comeback. It was the return of a legend that night, but he was never the same.

00 at half time and City were playing poorly, on came Colin the crowd exploded and the rest is history.

Oneof my fav memories from Maine Road.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.