Who's the greatest ?

My grandad still says Doherty or Trautman, he's a stubborn bugger. My dad says its a flip between Bell & Silva.. For me it's Vinnie but suppose theres no right or wrong answer.

Really hard to make a clear choice on this one. We've not had a striker with over 200 goals or a player who has become a national or international. For me post war it boils down to a choice from 5.
Trautmann, Bell, Aguero, Toure, Silva

I never saw Bert but anyone who knows football says he was fantastic and his storin the immediate post war context and '56 cup final is remarkable. He's probably our international icon.
Sergio at his best top 3/4 in world, Remarkable amount of goals and of course the best ever moment in the history of the top division.
Yaya a colossus and game changer for us. Those 50/60 yard runs shrugging off opponents like swatting flies will always live in the memory. A great combination of skill, power and intelligence. A draw back though is ( not always his fault ) but sometimes off the field crap has not helped him.
David is possibly the best player 30 yards to goal that I've seen- he rarely loses the ball and is just beautiful to watch. I wish he boils convert a few more of the opportunities he gets though.
Colin's record of approx 150 goals in 460 games is just remarkable given no pens or free kicks. Think only Lampard is better certainly not the rag shitbags of Robson or Ginger pig. I was lucky enough to see him 6/7 times before That horrific injury, That injury probably lost us the 76-77 league -his 1 in 3 goals per games would have easily been worth more than an extra point to us. And then what might have happened in the EC with s vouplr if decent draws? Would England have qualified in 76 and 78 with him? The chances would certainly have been improved.
Push coming to shove I'd give it to Colin but it's so close that s piece of Ya Ya, Sergio or David magic could change my mind!!

I remember watching a "Superstars" episode that he appeared in. The final event was a 600m race, with the competitors handicapped according to ability, and the former Olympic 400m Hurdles winner, David Hemery, always started about 70m back from the line, and generally won. Colin was on scratch, and at the end of the race, which Colin won, Hemery was still 70m behind! City's sprint coach was a guy called Brian Green, the British 100m champion. It was rumoured that Colin used to beat him regularly.

That's why he was known as Nijinsky - he could have been an Olympic athlete.

He's still my all time hero, although some of the current side are also serious contenders, all of which have been mentioned frequently. He would fit into the current squad (or any squad over the years) in the same way that Yaya does now, but be far more consistent. In terms of skill, Silva has it, and in terms of goal scoring, it can only be Aguerooooooooooooo. Sorry, Franny.
Franny was also world class. I also remember superstars and Colin showed that he could genuinely have been an olympic sprinter or middle distance runner.

So many players, so many different skill sets.

For overall effect on the team, Yaya.
For athleticism, has to be Nijinsky.
For skill, Silva hands down.
For enigma, Marsh. Most exciting player I saw in my youth.
For defensive abilities, would be a nice battle to watch Watson and Kompany, and Mike Doyle might not like being left out!

For a lickle club, we sure have been graced with watching some outstanding talent!

Just look at the YouTube vids of Colin and listen to Geoff Hurst and Jimmy Hill talking about the 'Colin Bell surge'. Watch the little curved two yard ball around Bobby Moore.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.