Who's your favourite City manager?

I'm very fickle when it comes to managers so by time most of them have gone I tend to have become desperate to see the back of them and it colours my overall opinion of them. So Keegan's first season was incredible, Mancini took us on to new levels but I find it difficult to look back on either of them with much fondness because by time they went, I couldn't stand them. I know that this is me being a **** though. I'd say in the last 25 years probably Royle, Horton, Sven and Reid are the only ones who have left without me being at the point of detesting them, I was just ambivalent about them leaving. I'm going to say Joe Royle.

In order of my considerable lifetime watching the blues in order:- first match 76-77 so Tony Book onwards

1- Bobby Manc - tore down that banner & took on GPC & won in style
2 - Tony Book - nostalgic choice but my first taste of success as a Blue & we were the dominant team in Manchester
3 - Manuel Pelligrini - at its best the greatest football we've ever played at its worst lethargic
4 - John Bond - swagger & hope
5 - Brian Horton - Uwe - Walsh & Beagrie!
6 - Kevin Keegan - Ali Bernarbia & Eyal Berkovic ripping holes out on all and sundry
7 - Joe Royles - Got us back from the brink & restored sanity
8 - Sven Goran Erikkson - Made us feel we were a big club again
8 - Mel Machin - 5-1
9 - Howard Kendall - Only manager pre Mancini that could have won us the title, pity he got pissed & went back to his missus
10 - Billy McNeill - If only we hadn't been skint, think he could have got us places
11 - Mark Hughes - Thought he was better than he was, though made us a better team & some crucial behind the scenes changes
12 - Malcolm Allison (2nd coming) - If only... Though his team did reach LC semis without Bond's cup tied players & were robbed by Alf Grey
13 - Stuart Pearce - steady start, dissolved into panic stricken desire to not lose
14 - Jimmy Frizzell - Not the right choice after Billy went, pretty much a disaster with no cash, though did sign Varadi??
15 - Alan Ball - Just totally hopeless - though away days were fun at the time
16 - John Benson - Cheapskate appointment who took a demotivated squad down
17 - Steve Coppell - Bottler & fraud
18 - Frank Clark - Hopeless, can only imagine the coach trips home after another defeat as he strummed his guitar - Oh and City 0-1 Bury FFS
19 - Phil Neal - turd

Hope I haven't missed one, nearly forgot Sven!

Excluded Asa Hartford & Kiddos 2 game spells though both would rank higher than any of the bottom 5

Peter Reid, two 5th place finishes but I never cared much for him personally, to many ex everton players and that decision to let Harper take the pen instead of Ward who hadn't missed one, arghhhhhhhhh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.