Why £80m players are needed to break through.

Fowlers Penalty Miss said:
Sometimes, you just need a squad that works for each other.

I don't think paying a record sum of money for someone is the answer. We paid a record sum for Robinho, after all, and he was too lightweight.

Real Madrid have broken records in the transfer market, with nothing to show for it.

Spending money for the sake of it is'nt the answer, in my opinion. Buying players who want to win is.

Let's get some hungry players into the squad who want to win, and who cares how much they cost!

^^^

A streetcar called desire is more important imo

I think Ronaldo is the only player that can handle an £80m price tag. Other players will bottle it.

Neil McNab said:
Garry.Cook said:
I think all we need right now is for Adebayor and Tevez to get something done on the training pitch so that they understand each other. As Ian Cheeseman put it on saturday "Tevez and Adebayor are looking very confused about each other at the moment". Once this is sorted, we have Lescott back and Mancini can do something with our midfield (who haven't really dominated a match since Mancini took over) we would be 5x the team we are now.

Then on top of that if we got Ireland and SWP playing their best football again and by some miracle Robbie came back playing how he did at the beginning, then that really could be a league winning side without buying anyone!

All we're having at the moment is a lot of bad luck with injuries, form and a new(ish) manager. I think in the near future things will start to progress without having the 2 steps forward 1 step back feeling we're used to.
If you think SWP, Ireland & Robinho can form a league winning midfield you're detached from reality, they were as near as dam it our forward line last season, hence why theirr goal talleys looked artifically impressive, they can'y play behind Tevez and Ade.

agree with this

If Mancini is here next season expect half of our team to be shipped out as theyre just not good enough.....only a few will stay, Mr Hughes has wasted buckets of money IMO and I think ADUG began to see this.

Why do we lose away ? why didnt we thrash Pompey ? ........because half the team are not good enough

Neil McNab said:
fbloke said:
There are two teams I would like to see City be more like, Chelsea and Man U

Its not by chance that they have the very best players.

Robinho was a flop at any cost and at £32.5m well.........

You buy success with the top players, with the £25m players you buy the chance of success.

I would say we need to buy the best.

This doesnt mean that we cant also bring in young talent as well, but you need those big names.
United & Chelsea don't build their sides with £25m players, the £32m Robinho was a flop, a bit of self contraction here, very confusing post.

United actually do pay top dollar for their players, aside from the homegrown players and the odd freebie like Owen (LOL) their squad has an average price of £17M. That includes Ferdinand, Rooney, Berbatov, Nani, Anderson, Vidic, park, Hargreaves, Evra, Carrick and Valencia.

Don't know about Chelsea but just off the top of my head I would say their squad has cost a fair whack aswell.

Neil McNab said:
fbloke said:
There are two teams I would like to see City be more like, Chelsea and Man U

Its not by chance that they have the very best players.

Robinho was a flop at any cost and at £32.5m well.........

You buy success with the top players, with the £25m players you buy the chance of success.

I would say we need to buy the best.

This doesnt mean that we cant also bring in young talent as well, but you need those big names.
United & Chelsea don't build their sides with £25m players, the £32m Robinho was a flop, a bit of self contraction here, very confusing post.

Apologies for not being as clear as I had hoped.

Robinho was overpriced, we all know that, but he fits into the £25m bracket. These players typically have a question mark above them, attitude, work-rate, commitment, experience - they are a quasi-gamble if you will.

The prices that United, for example have paid are at the very top end, when they paid them.]

How much for Rooney and when. Ditto Ferdinand.

The very,very best players stand out in terms of price and City arent in that league yet.

But we bid for Kaka and Terry and were willing to pay for the best players. Just imagine what the defence would be like with Terry at its heart? (ignoring the scandal of course). I reckon I would as manager pay almost anything for him and if Lescott os £24m well..........

Our home form is probably Champions League quality but our away form is diabolical.

The reason for this is simple. Teams sit off us at home and we have good possession of the ball. Away from home teams get in our faces and neither Ireland, Barry or De Jong are good enough to keep the ball under pressure. We don't really need a world beater in the team. We just need a central midfielder who can dominate the game and a midfielder who is top class on the ball.

I'd most definitely go for Yaya Toure as he can do pretty much everything and i'd be tempted to go for someone like Hleb given he's probably available if Stuttgart don't sign him and he's most likely cheap. He has Premiership exerience and he's very good with the ball.

All we need is a midfield that can keep the ball away from home and possibly a proper defensive leader. Other than that i think we're good enough for the Champions League.

fbloke said:
Aston Villa dont have any.

Arsenal dont have any

Spurs dont.

City dont have any

Liverpool do, sometimes.

The truly world class players are the ones who do that bit extra, have that power or speed and City don't have any yet.

Liverpool were looking like a team out of the reckoning until Gerrard came back and will soon bring in Torres again and kick on.

Villa will fall away, as will Spurs as they have to play at the very top of their game to keep up.

Spurs are showing their level way below the top 4.

So are we going to be replacing Arsenal?

A Drogba, Rooney, Terry, Torres, Gerrard is the level we need and until then we cant expect to win the league.

But as it is the stated desire to win it within the first 5 years we are looking at a very busy summer.

Arsenal have Fabregas who is at this level, but i agree with the rest of your post. None of these players cost £80 million though, they have developed into the players they are, at their clubs. I think we have to do the same thing, rather than just by them in. Would Gerrard and Terry etc have the same drive and will to win if they were playing for us?

pee dubya said:
fbloke said:
Aston Villa dont have any.

Arsenal dont have any

Spurs dont.

City dont have any

Liverpool do, sometimes.

The truly world class players are the ones who do that bit extra, have that power or speed and City don't have any yet.

Liverpool were looking like a team out of the reckoning until Gerrard came back and will soon bring in Torres again and kick on.

Villa will fall away, as will Spurs as they have to play at the very top of their game to keep up.

Spurs are showing their level way below the top 4.

So are we going to be replacing Arsenal?

A Drogba, Rooney, Terry, Torres, Gerrard is the level we need and until then we cant expect to win the league.

But as it is the stated desire to win it within the first 5 years we are looking at a very busy summer.

Arsenal have Fabregas who is at this level, but i agree with the rest of your post. None of these players cost £80 million though, they have developed into the players they are, at their clubs. I think we have to do the same thing, rather than just by them in. Would Gerrard and Terry etc have the same drive and will to win if they were playing for us?

I would hope that players like them would have the desire, but that adds another element to the 'gamble' of signing players of course.

The idea of developing our own is spot on and thats what we are likely doing with the massive expansion of the scouting and even buying in of young talent.

But can we afford to wait 5-7 years, nope I dont think we can.

The £80m price is indicative of what the very best players will now cost, it could be £50, £60 or somewhere close but it is that leap from the £25m price tag that I was shedding light on.

What you pay for Iniesta or Messi, Torres or Gerrard?

Knocking on £80m i reckon ;-)

fbloke said:
pee dubya said:

I would hope that players like them would have the desire, but that adds another element to the 'gamble' of signing players of course.

The idea of developing our own is spot on and thats what we are likely doing with the massive expansion of the scouting and even buying in of young talent.

But can we afford to wait 5-7 years, nope I dont think we can.

The £80m price is indicative of what the very best players will now cost, it could be £50, £60 or somewhere close but it is that leap from the £25m price tag that I was shedding light on.

What you pay for Iniesta or Messi, Torres or Gerrard?

Knocking on £80m i reckon ;-)

I think they'd still have determination to win, it's in their character, but i do think they'd just lose a bit of the edge they have, if they signed for us.

Although, I'd give my left testicle to have Iniesta in our team...

Also i have to say, i think Ireland could be in that bracket, but players who can be at that level don't always reach it. He has the talent anyway. Perhaps he's still maturing though, needs to get involved more in matches.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.