Why did the Sheikh choose us

journolud

I know this has probably been discussed before but I never took any notice. I've been asked by a Spurs fan I work with, with no hint of envy in his voice, why the sheikh chose to invest in us and not say Spurs, Newcastle, Everton or any other sleeping giant you can think of. I thought it might have been Shinawatra's connections but didn't know for sure.So, what's the story?

As I understood it it was between us and Newcastle. They noticed our attendances in the third devision and chose us. Could be completely wrong but I've heard that somewhere.

Think Newcastle haggled over more money,
Spurs just not worth aggro
Everton, its in scouseland

City had a new stadium and infrastructure was easier to put in place

I thought frank was pretty keen to move it on, right place right time.
Immense luck on our part.

Our infrastructure in place was ideal to plan the revolution we are currently unfolding.

At Newcastle Ashley was an arse with negotiations and Cook and co obviously managed to pitch a winning vision over the others.

Damocles said:
He thought we were Manchester United like Robinho and Manuel Pellegrini

yes , so when he bought over he was suprised to see clueless and not baconface !

The stories as they piece together seem to be that the good Sheikh was looking for an English team to invest in and he wanted one which was not a top team, but had potential. On the checklist were a number of things they ideally wanted - a strong tradition of support, preferably a "sleeping giant" club not fulfilling its potential, with a good stadium which could be expanded, available at a sensible price. I'm not sure how many clubs Mansour and Khaldoon looked although Newcastle and Everton get mentioned a lot. I think Garry Cook has said in interviews that the Sheikh had just rejected one club when one of his contacts (or something) made him aware of their interest and he immediately leaped at the chance, and made an approach to the Sheikh himself. He was asked to make a presentation for them (in the interview he said that he still keeps the powerpoint file he used as a keepsake), and his presentation entirely won over the delegation and from that moment on it was history.

Damocles said:
He thought we were Manchester United like Robinho and Manuel Pellegrini
You mean this isn't a Man United forum? Fuck I've wasted 2 years on the bitters' web site :-0

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.