Why has Manchester changed so much?

Manchester City Council were very smart from the mid 90's when they started to bid for every regeneration pot that was going from the EU and Central Government. Manchester had the demographics to get a shed load of cash and they did so to do up areas and run a host of community type projects. This in turn created jobs. From this Manchester became more desirable when compared to other run down cities. So when investors were looking for a place to invest, Manchester just ticked their boxes. We can also add to this mix the Labour Government who also threw money at Manchester City Council as well.

I'm sure there are more reasons but for me, this was the key to the regeneration of Manchester. If you do some research into the levels of investment the City Council received and what they actually spent on regeneration over the past 15 years when compared to other Councils, you will spot a connection. We got more money - we did more stuff - we built more stuff- we made more jobs - simples.

The bomb was just incidental in the grand scheme of things, it just meant we got a new Arndale centre to spend our money in.

hisroyalblueness said:
It has nothing to do with the ira bomb (though that did spur regeneration in a small quater of the city centre). Blowing a bomb up is actually generally adverse to commercial expansion (think Iraq for instance - it's been bombed back 3 centuries and all the oils now going to the usa).

Just coincidence the regeneration started immediately after the bomb, and all the money the government poured in then because of it too? (also the EU grants the council were wise to go get as well)

And to compare it with Iraq's situation is well, sorry, but just silly....

hisroyalblueness said:
It has nothing to do with the ira bomb (though that did spur regeneration in a small quater of the city centre). Blowing a bomb up is actually generally adverse to commercial expansion (think Iraq for instance - it's been bombed back 3 centuries and all the oils now going to the usa).

Just coincidence the regeneration started immediately after the bomb, and all the money the government poured in then because of it too? (also the EU grants the council were wise to go get as well)

And to compare it with Iraq's situation is well, sorry, but just silly....

gaudinho's stolen car said:
ono said:
It's too multicultural.

Crikey! That's a diplomatic way of saying that you wish they would shut the borders. If that is what you are saying?

Why do we need to shut the book shop chain?!

,o)

I remember walking around the city centre about a couple of weeks after the bomb, it was scaffold city, from the bottom of market street I couldn't see a single building that wasn't entirely covered in scaffold and plastic sheeting. The bomb didn't demolish any buildings but it did damage a great many buildings, it was the largest bomb ever detonated on the british mainland (including WW2). We had a Tory government at the time who made a big thing about how many millions they were going to spend on rebuilding, but in the end spent almost nothing, all the money came from the EU, much of it Manchester would have got anyway for regeneration.

Since the City Store opened in the Arndale, the council have had so much extra revenue from the car parks that it has been able to spend an extra twenty billion pounds on regenerating the surrounding area.

And at £3.60 for 75 minutes parking I'm not far off that 20bn figure.
Robbing bastards - is it any surprise I do most of my non-food shopping online -I was in town before Xmas and two and half hours parking cost me six pounds fifty in the Arndale.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.