Why has Manchester changed so much?

It's not just Manchester that has changed.

Go back a few decades following the industrial decline of the nation, and the biggest shock the country had was the inner city riots of the early '80's.

Our towns and city's really were dark, depressing places. The riots woke us all up, and although it took some time to sort things out, the message that living in a shit hole was loud and clear.

After years of decline, the decision was made that we couldn't live like rats anymore.

The IRA bomb in Manchester came years after the regeneration of our city centres had begun.

Yes, the bomb was a big influence on how Manchester developed, but if the bomb had happened in the early '70's, there would have been a large, weed filled hole in the ground for years afterwards.

Fowlers Penalty Miss said:
It's not just Manchester that has changed.

Go back a few decades following the industrial decline of the nation, and the biggest shock the country had was the inner city riots of the early '80's.

Our towns and city's really were dark, depressing places. The riots woke us all up, and although it took some time to sort things out, the message that living in a shit hole was loud and clear.

After years of decline, the decision was made that we couldn't live like rats anymore.

The IRA bomb in Manchester came years after the regeneration of our city centres had begun.

Yes, the bomb was a big influence on how Manchester developed, but if the bomb had happened in the early '70's, there would have been a large, weed filled hole in the ground for years afterwards.

I too don't think the bomb was as influential as people think it was. I'm just curious as to why Manchester is so much more desirable for businesses, people and investors, as oppose to other cities. I mean Leeds has done well, but I've always thought Manchester has come out of de-industrialisation quite well, albeit 2011.

I just wonder where the spark was, what initiated it all? Some say the bomb, but did that spark further regeneration after Market Street or was it just coinciding with other redevelopments? To me, the city as a whole is fantastic, it's got all the ameneties to make a place desirable and fantastic architecture.

It's interesting to hear what people think about it, or maybe I'm a bit of a bore!

Manchester was miles better before the bomb. Fair do's The Arndale was (and still is) a monstrosity that should never have been built in the first place, But in the aftermath of the bomb one of the only real changes directly resulting from it, was that the excellent Corn Exchange became The fucking Triangle. But as for clubs, pubs, shops and a bit of regional identity Manchester City Centre has gone backwards over the last few years.

Manchester WOULD have seen city centre/ urban regeneration anyway ...

it's just that the 'bomb' hurried things along a bit!

I think the bomb helped focus national attention, but within Manchester many positive steps were being taken to attract business and improve the city's identity during the 80s. Whereas Liverpool tended to focus on what it had lost during the decline of industry and the late 70s/early 80s economic changes, Manchester focused on how it could create new businesses etc. Manchester looked forward when most northern cities looked back - no point Manchester whinging about what 'London has taken from us', better to challenge London at every level.

When Bob Scott launched his plan to bring the Olympics to Manchester in the mid 80s people laughed, but it was that kind of vision that helped shape the city's aspirations. People forget that Manchester's first proper attempt at staging the games was made in the 80s when we bid to stage the 1992 Games.

Birmingham was selected by the British Olympic people to be our country's bid city but that was really a political compromise. Birmingham did so badly that any other British city should have been put off, but Scott pushed for 1996 instead (then 2000).

Those bids I think helped re-established Manchester as a forward-looking, pioneering city. Then the 2002 Commonwealth Games were a huge success and that led to London getting its chance for the Olympics. So not only did we aspire to be a world leading city but we were also capable of delivering.

There is a lot of focus on what the bomb did but the significant aspect of that (apart from the people who were seriously injured - we should never forget that!) was how Manchester chose to move forward. Would Liverpool and other northern cities have been so proactive, or would there be a patched up M&S, Arndale & Wellington Inn?

Incidentally Scall - Borders has already closed down!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.