Why hasn't Pep got a knighthood?

not a chance he’d get one when he’s our manager. If he ever manages England though they’d be throwing gongs at him rear of the year the fuckin lot!

Actually, the reason i posted this was that I had to endure some of the beckham documentary tonight with my family.

Whilst I took a sinister pleasure in moaning and insulting anyone related to the rags in it, what I did notice were two things;

1. The accolade bacon face got for winning the treble, resulting in a knighthood.

2. The absolute polar opposite media reaction to both the possibility and ultimate reality of them completing the treble by winning the CL compared to ours.

On the latter point, there were scenes in the programme where they showed bbc coverage on the day of the final.

The sentiment was very much that of 'this team is representing our country and are hopefully going to win the trophy for the country'. It was absolute 6 o'clock news headlining content, not sports section coverage. It was almost like war time coverage of the troops going to battle.

Fast forward 24 years or so, to our even more impressive achievement, and coverage couldn't have been any more different, amidst a backdrop of 'financial cheating claims' the sentiment and coverage was, at best tolerant, at worse, down right vindictive and hateful.

Really reminded me just how bitter and twisted football in this nation is and always will be.

But the rags and most neutrals will just point to our 'paranoia' for pointing this out
For the Pep Knighthood, as others have pointed out, the list of knighthoods for non-Brits in sport is just two long.

I do think things were different back in 1999 though. Times were changing, and obviously most City fans wouldn't have been supporting United, but this was before most social media, so you didn't have quite the same levels of tribalism. It was the first English EC/CL finalist since Heysel, and it had also not sunk in that United's financial stitch up of the PL was creating the kind of crazy inequality that we'd not seen before in English football.

However, most importantly, it was only the first year that the Champions League had two English entrants. In 1999, you'd have to have gone back to the 70s to find a match between two English teams in one of the top European competitions. Even in the UEFA cup, which had more English entrants, as far as I can see, it hadn't happened since 1973. In the EC/CL, it had happened just once when Forest, as holders, beat Liverpool in the first round.

English teams weren't competing against each other in Europe, so there was still much more of a feeling they were representing England in Europe.

For the Pep Knighthood, as others have pointed out, the list of knighthoods for non-Brits in sport is just two long.

I do think things were different back in 1999 though. Times were changing, and obviously most City fans wouldn't have been supporting United, but this was before most social media, so you didn't have quite the same levels of tribalism. It was the first English EC/CL finalist since Heysel, and it had also not sunk in that United's financial stitch up of the PL was creating the kind of crazy inequality that we'd not seen before in English football.

However, most importantly, it was only the first year that the Champions League had two English entrants. In 1999, you'd have to have gone back to the 70s to find a match between two English teams in one of the top European competitions. Even in the UEFA cup, which had more English entrants, as far as I can see, it hadn't happened since 1973. In the EC/CL, it had happened just once when Forest, as holders, beat Liverpool in the first round.

English teams weren't competing against each other in Europe, so there was still much more of a feeling they were representing England in Europe.
Very good points regarding how things were looked on differently back in the days when a country only had one participant in the CL.
Another thing worth considering was that in 1999, the CL was shown exclusively on ITV (it was to be another three years before they started sharing it with Sky). The games attracted huge TV audiences and by the time the rags had reached the final following an incredibly dramatic (and very painful) win in the SF, virtually every neutral and casual viewer in the country was willing them to win it.

Didn't the public push for it?. We never get loved by neutrals like the rags do, so it's no chance, same with Rashford and his MBE, that wasn't just the Rag supporters who lobbied him for it.
The process usually takes 9 months to a year from the nomination being received to it being awarded.
Rashford's was rushed through by a desperate government looking for popularist actions

The process usually takes 9 months to a year from the nomination being received to it being awarded.
Rashford's was rushed through by a desperate government looking for popularist actions
Ferguson's knighthood was announced less than three weeks after United won the treble.

Also rushed through. but by a rather more popular PM.

Because he’s not a citizen of a Commonwealth country.

Even if he were awarded an honorary one, he could never be Sir Pep for this reason.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.