Why I cannot accept anything less than a win against Spurs..

BTH

Saturday, 9 May 1981. I was 14 years old. City v Spurs in the Centenary Cup Final. Even by City’s standards it was unexpected.

John Bond had arrived the previous October to oversee a 1-0 defeat in his first game, at home to Birmingham. The following Wednesday the revolution proper started, with a 3-1 win over Spurs, again at home.

The Cup Final was a heartbreaker, to put it mildly. Far better than Spurs on the day, a complete fluke saw them equalise with 11 minutes left on the clock thanks to Tommy Hutch’s own goal. They had nothing on the day and yes, we should have done the job there and then. City gave everything that day but still we couldn’t beat the b@st@rds, and yet we even applauded the broken figure of the substituted Ricky Villa off as he trooped round the pitch and off down the tunnel in front of us, at our end. The end of that game remains the biggest anti-climax I have ever experienced in my life - even now, 29 years later.

We were better than them and optimistic that we might beat them in the replay - especially with the possibility of a return for Dennis Tueart who hadn’t featured in the original game - but in reality our day had been and gone.

The replay is, of course, history but nevertheless Villa’s goal is shown and reshown by those b@st@rds at the BBC seemingly every other week. If I live to be a hundred, a heartbroken 14-year old boy will always be within me, loathing and despising Spurs and that ungrateful b@st@rd Villa.

Ask most City fans and they’ll tell you the same: after the rags, it’s Spurs they hate. Some of the youngsters might disagree. If they do they need to have it drummed into them; it’s part of our history, it’s in our DNA. It should be in the players’ hearts and minds too, but most of them weren’t born then, won’t know, probably wouldn’t care if they did.

Since then our overall record’s been pretty poor against Spurs. Of course there’ve been some memorable games: the 5-2 annihilation in 1994 and the 4-3 Cup comeback a decade later (described as one of the greatest comebacks of all time in one of the following morning’s tabloids), but I also recall I don’t how many 1-0 defeats and that 4-2 Cup defeat in March 1993 when the Umbro stand opened and fans and police horses alike were on the pitch. That, incidentally, was one of four defeats against Spurs that season. FOUR FFS!

This is what fans remember and players don’t. No-one has a longer memory than a football fan. Whether it was Graham Roberts’ stuffy winner in my first trip to the shanty ground that is White Hart Lane in August ’86 or the 1-0 defeat on the first day of the season after the 1990 World Cup when Gazzamania was still at its peak and, as a result of the media frenzy, we were on a hiding to nothing… literally as it turned out. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. They won 3-1 that day but that didn’t stop us being attacked in our car by Spurs’ fans as we were stuck in a traffic jam near those dodgy flats by White Hart Lane Station. It was a red-hot day and they came through the windows and even the sunroof – the b@st@rds.

So yes, I hate Spurs. In fact, ‘hate’ doesn’t really do justice to how I feel about them when I think of their tatty ground and their dreadful lemon meringue kit, their inhumane fans and their allegedly crooked manager (not their first either, I ought to point out), David Pleat and Garth Crooks, their crap Spurs Are On Their Way To Wembley single and Chas ‘n’ f***ing Dave. There’s a playing card’s width between them and the rags as far as I am concerned and there’s a line that I won’t apologise for using again, as it applies so aptly and so succinctly to my beloved City, from the 19th century poet Robert Browning: “A minute's success pays the failure of years.”

And that is why this Wednesday, the current employees of Manchester City Football Club can go a long, long way to partially healing the hurt of that heartbroken 14-year old boy who will always be within me, and that is why I cannot accept anything less than a win against Spurs...

great post mate
you have brought a lot of pent up frustration to the fore and reminded me how just desperately unlucky we were that day
i remember meeting tommy hutch on the monday and he was still inconsolable
i've never forgiven the smarmy arrogant cockneys on the platform at wembley station giving it large and even threatening my mum and girlfriend
its taken a long time to get over those feelings but you've brought them all back
(an ironic) ta!

Well said!!!

I was 8 years old and remember it like it was yesterday. And check this.... I was in a bloody school play on the night of the replay and couldnt watch or listen to the game. Me Mam picked me up after and fucked up and told me we had WON! Not sure I have ever got over it....

If arsenal lose today a win against the spuds could also get us close to a third place finish considering they have Fulham next week.

Now that would REALLY upset the media...

Great post BTH, just reading it hurt.
That niggling pain still surfaces in me at the very mention of spurs. Not to mention cup final day when they trot out that goal every fucking year.

Great post, BTH. I hate Everton more than I hate Spurs but there isn't much in it, I must admit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.