Why so many 3pm games?

How many teams in a League would be needed to make it happen?

For me, Home Home Away Away etc happens far too often these days for it to be necessary.

We know it's TV and PL dictating the schedule for the £££ but it don't half piss match going fans around.
It doesn’t matter how many teams are in the league, once everyone from one side of the fixtures has played everyone from the other side of the fixtures (alternating h/a/h/a…), the teams on the same side of the fixtures who were at home on Matchday One would have to play each other meaning some would have to be either home twice in a row or away twice in a row. And that would repeat a number of times a season.

It’s the clubs as well as the TV and league.

Clubs are allowed to request to be at home or away on certain Matchdays. City for example always ask to be away first game of the season to give the pitch another week’s prep before it’s played on (after it’s had concerts on through the Summer).

At other times, outside events mean a team has to play away at certain times. United have to play away the weekend that the Super League Grand Final is scheduled, for example.

The PL can refuse those requests at times though.

It doesn’t matter how many teams are in the league, once everyone from one side of the fixtures has played everyone from the other side of the fixtures (alternating h/a/h/a…), the teams on the same side of the fixtures who were at home on Matchday One would have to play each other meaning some would have to be either home twice in a row or away twice in a row. And that would repeat a number of times a season.

It’s the clubs as well as the TV and league.

Clubs are allowed to request to be at home or away on certain Matchdays. City for example always ask to be away first game of the season to give the pitch another week’s prep before it’s played on (after it’s had concerts on through the Summer).

At other times, outside events mean a team has to play away at certain times. United have to play away the weekend that the Super League Grand Final is scheduled, for example.

The PL can refuse those requests at times though.
Super league is generally on an international weekend to give it top billing on Sky. But I now what you are saying generally.
Forest fixtures are moved if the clash with intn'l cricket. Or Nottingham Goose Fair!!!!!!!! (one for the old timers)...

Super league is generally on an international weekend to give it top billing on Sky. But I now what you are saying generally.
Forest fixtures are moved if the clash with intn'l cricket. Or Nottingham Goose Fair!!!!!!!! (one for the old timers)...
Check out James H Reeve on you tube at the Embassy club and his take on the goose fair !!

If people are staying at home to watch the 12.30 and 17.30 Saturday games, they aren’t going to watch their local non-league side at 15.00 either because when the dinnertime and teatime games are on would be when they are travelling to and from the non-league 15.00 games (especially for away games) and having a Greggs on the way there, a few pints before and after the game and a chippy on the way home so it makes no difference if Prem 15.00 games were shown live in tele.

Casual fans do watch the 12.30pm game before a non/lower league game or after at 5.30pm as I am one of them. If someone is going to watch Hyde United they are going to watch them because they are a 10 min walk or 5 min drive away. There’s plenty of time to do both or all 3 games.

If Spurs-Liverpool was on at 3pm the same time as Hyde-Morpeth I would watch Spurs-Liverpool but the latter game doesn’t have to be on at 3pm.

All prem games should be streamed live but just either side of the 2:45pm - 5:15pm blackout, there is enough time from Friday-Monday to fit them in. It’s the best of both worlds.

There is no reason for City v Brighton, an attractive elite level game to not be shown on TV. That game could have been any other time if all games were shown live in the UK.

In the "good ol' days" ALL games started at 3:00pm on Saturday. Used to sit in front of the TV watching the teletypewriter burst into life for results as games finished with my dad sitting with the Littlewoods pools coupon in his hand - eventually screwing it up and tossing it in the fire as he hadn't won anything.

In the "good ol' days" ALL games started at 3:00pm on Saturday. Used to sit in front of the TV watching the teletypewriter burst into life for results as games finished with my dad sitting with the Littlewoods pools coupon in his hand - eventually screwing it up and tossing it in the fire as he hadn't won anything.
We used to go to Stalybridge Celtic. A friend of the family lived 5 minutes walk from the ground.
Dash back to there's to watch Grandstand and listen to the brilliant Len Martin deliver the full time scores.

Sundays were for reenacting a goal you'd seen on MOTD on the field, whilst your parents slept off Sunday lunch.

I’ve been to a few Grand Finals after going to City earlier in the day.

I’ve been to a few Grand Finals after going to City earlier in the day.

Yeah, been to loads. I think this middle international break is pretty new isn’t it? Wasn’t it just September then November?

I actually used to comment on an annual basis how lucky it was that it fell on a City home game yet again, until someone with a brain pointed out that it had fuck all to do with coincidence.

Yeah, been to loads. I think this middle international break is pretty new isn’t it? Wasn’t it just September then November?

I actually used to comment on an annual basis how lucky it was that it fell on a City home game yet again, until someone with a brain pointed out that it had fuck all to do with coincidence.
I think the October break first appeared two years ago due to World Cup qualifying having slipped behind schedule as a result of the pandemic. I‘m sure I read then that it was going to be a one-off but that obviously wasn’t the case.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.