Why ''York away''? Should be Northampton.....

Mad Eyed Screamer

I always wondered why the significance of York away 1998 being mentioned as a mark of loyalty. To me it should be the Northampton game as City only received around 800 tickets. At York we received a lot more than that.

I had an old Uni friend who lived just outside Northampton and he allowed me to use his address and I rang Northampton up and explained that I worked at a language school in Northampton and that 6 Japanese students wanted to watch the game.
''So they are students'' came the reply, and on telling them that they were, he said I could buy kids priced tickets and gave us family stand tickets.
Ordered the tickets there on the spot and they were sent to my mates house!

On the day, 6 slightly tipsy blokes in their 30's turn up and sat on the front row of the family stand!

As for York, yes it was a milestone game... the last we lost until Oldham & Wycombe late on in the season. I even rang Jimmy Wagg up on the way home and said Royle should be sacked..... (I did ring back around March and apologise lol)
But in terms of loyalty...... the question for me is... ''where were you at Northampton'' ;)

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
I always wondered why the significance of York away 1998 being mentioned as a mark of loyalty. To me it should be the Northampton game as City only received around 800 tickets. At York we received a lot more than that.

I had an old Uni friend who lived just outside Northampton and he allowed me to use his address and I rang Northampton up and explained that I worked at a language school in Northampton and that 6 Japanese students wanted to watch the game.
''So they are students'' came the reply, and on telling them that they were, he said I could buy kids priced tickets and gave us family stand tickets.

On the day, 6 slightly tipsy blokes in their 30's turn up and sat on the front row of the family stand!

As for York, yes it was a milestone game... the last we lost until Oldham & Wycombe late on in the season. I even rang Jimmy Wagg up on the way home and said Royle should be sacked..... (I did ring back around March and apologise lol)
But in terms of loyalty...... the question for me is... ''where were you at Northampton'' ;)

I think it's beacuse after losing at York, we dropped to the lowest league position in our history. I suppose on this basis, anyone who attended the following match should be deemed the most loyal!

i was at york city away, i was only 10 and all these grown men comin up to me saying, stop supporting city they will ruin your life get out while you can...

i was there when we were shit.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:

I was ........ biggest ever attendance at Sixfields that ........ you could even watch the game from the embankment corner behind the goal next to the retail park.......... if i remember rightly did we equalise in the last few minutes ???

Kakhaber Tskhadadze K.O.T.A. said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

I was ........ biggest ever attendance at Sixfields that ........ you could even watch the game from the embankment corner behind the goal next to the retail park.......... if i remember rightly did we equalise in the last few minutes ???

Yes. Goater made it 2-2. I think it was part of a sequence of 4 successive away league games where we scored late or last-minute equalisers or winners:

Notts County away 1-1 - Goater
Macc away 1-0 - Goater
Northampton away 2-2 - Goater
Millwall away 1-1 - Bradbury

Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Yes, that's right, the Goat, may have been injury time.... deflected off the keeper or something jammy!

cheddar404 said:
I think it's beacuse after losing at York, we dropped to the lowest league position in our history. I suppose on this basis, anyone who attended the following match should be deemed the most loyal!

the following game was Wrexham away, when the main stand was missing ???? all that was there was a pub in corner with Wrexham fans sat on a flat roof watching the game with a beer in hand. (we won 1:0)

Being at York wasn't about loyalty as much as being there at the club's lowest point in their history, I've never felt as depressed about City as I did walking back to the car after that match.

cheddar404 said:

the following game was Wrexham away, when the main stand was missing ???? all that was there was a pub in corner with Wrexham fans sat on a flat roof watching the game with a beer in hand. (we won 1:0)

Yes, Boxing day

It's all shite, I was at both games but don't feel any better than any other blue. It's not like I walked to the games. The trip to Timisaora last season was more of an effort to get too. People have commitments, finance trouble, things like that. As long as people go when they can, the club can't ask for more and it doesn't make them better or lesser a blue.
P.s. I do almost all away games. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.