Why ''York away''? Should be Northampton.....

BoyBlue_1985 said:
We should have a roll call of the brave 500,000 people that turned up at york that night
It was an afternoon I think. That was the best season I've had following City. Not so much loyalty but just having a top time. The Pearce era was worse. Shite football coupled with expensive tickets. At least it was only 7 quid to get in at York.

SWP's back said:
lancs blue said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
We should have a roll call of the brave 500,000 people that turned up at york that night

It was an afternoon. ;-)
He was stuck in traffic.

How would you know? You were on your way back from 'Boro following the Rags' 3-2 defeat. Only problem is, your story falls down because that match was played at Old Toilet ;)

lancs blue said:
M18CTID said:
lancs blue said:
Being at York wasn't about loyalty as much as being there at the club's lowest point in their history, I've never felt as depressed about City as I did walking back to the car after that match.

I went on the piss in York that night and had a great time! To be honest, the magnitude of where we were at that point didn't really hit me until months or even years later. Probably because I was brainwashed by Joe Royle's comments after seemingly every defeat or bore-draw at the time about how we were "nicely tucked in behind the leaders" and to be honest I distinctly remember looking at teletext in the hotel room that night as I was getting ready to go out and thinking that despite us being 12th in the league, we were only a few points away from a play-off spot.
I must be one of those manic depressives that Pearce was on about, our form was so bad I could only see a long struggle ahead after the York match. Thankfully Ged Wiekens dug us out of that hole at Wrexham the following week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the world's worst pessimist when the game is in progress. I always fear the worst, even when things are going well. I was bricking it when Fletcher pulled that goal back for the Rags the other week. However, when I'm away from the match environment I tend to look at things a bit more optimistically.

I'm not sure why attending these games is seen as a badge of honour. I mean, I know we had to watch some absolute dross when we were in Div2, but if I'm being honest, even then I still used to spend the whole week looking forward to going to the match that weekend. Point I'm making is that I feel every bit as much of a fan when I go and watch the top-class football we produce these days as I did when we were shit and in Division 2.

I didn't go to York but I have to say the game for me was Bristol Rovers at home. It was about 10 days before Christmas, the crowd was about 23k and it was the most boring game of football I'd ever seen. We drew 0-0 without even mustering an attack and had officially fell to our worst ever position of about 12th in the third tier. It was utterly soul destroying but then a couple of weeks later we played that game against Stoke and ever since it's been a bed of roses really!

jay_mcfc said:
I didn't go to York but I have to say the game for me was Bristol Rovers at home. It was about 10 days before Christmas, the crowd was about 23k and it was the most boring game of football I'd ever seen. We drew 0-0 without even mustering an attack and had officially fell to our worst ever position of about 12th in the third tier. It was utterly soul destroying but then a couple of weeks later we played that game against Stoke and ever since it's been a bed of roses really!

The Bristol Rovers game reminds me also of the other 0-0's that season.... Gillingham and Northampton
All three sold out the away end and all three teams and fans did a lap of honour at the end!!
Interestingly, both Wrexham and Macclesfield brought more fans to Maine Road than actually turned up for a couple of their home games the same season!

Talking about low times i was at maine rd v swindon in the old 2nd division 8,015 was there in a 63,000 stadium we lost 2-1,remember sat down on steps in the kippax watching game plenty of room,also northampton went up that season into the top flight they only stayed for 1 season.

xgorton said:
Talking about low times i was at maine rd v swindon in the old 2nd division 8,015 was there in a 63,000 stadium we lost 2-1,remember sat down on steps in the kippax watching game plenty of room,also northampton went up that season into the top flight they only stayed for 1 season.

I think they went from the 4th div to the first
in succesive seasons and back down to div 4 the same way

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.