Why you supported our wonderful club

All down to my old man.

Not sure if I should confess this on here but to my eternal shame I can remember as a small child being happy when the rags won the cup in 77 and asking my dad to take me to a united game. Thankfully he point blank refused and he took me to Maine Road a few months later and I never looked back.

I was late into football. as a kid in the 90's I used to collect the panini sticker books and switched allegiance on a weekly basis geared towards which kit I fancied the look of that week. Never any substance to it. I remember watching the derby on TV around 95/96 and remember thinking City had the nicer kit, and I knew a lad who was a blue but that was about it. I started seeing my paternal father again (parents had a messy divorce when I was a baby) and he and my stepmum are City fans, so generally started watching City and having an interest around 2000/2001. My first brand new shirt was an eidos le coq sportif one. I'm lucky really that, although alive, I wasn't present for the absolute shi*t of sh*t older blues had to sit through. I have however, had my fair share of it.

Took my 1 year old boy to his first City game last week (he loved it, and loves City. City was his 2nd word). he's been a 'Cityzen' since his day of birth. Making up for my lack of City in my early years. poor lad!

Born and raised in Austin, TX, USA with no ties to Manchester until the 1991/1992 season. I saw City play on tv in a replayed match vs. Arsenal at Maine Rd. David White scored in a 1-0 win, and the club team I played for wore sky blue and white. I told my coach I had seen the match, and he had a City scarf and cap that he gave to me. I was hooked, and managed to follow City's results in the Soccer America newspaper, and the fledgling internet until relegation made it much harder. I found the MCIVTA (McVittee!) newsletter, which allowed me to keep up with City in Div 1 and 2. I even managed to save up for a plane ticket and met a nice family that offered to let my friend and I stay with them. My first live City match was Wembley 1999.

Was never a real fan of anyone, till I managed to get a ticket to see City v utd at Wembley (through work) in the fa cup semis back in 2011.... & i just fell in love - not just with the team, but the fans too.

I was then lucky enough to see them beat Stoke in the final, and cheered them on at various away games for several years before moving to Manchester a few years ago & finally getting to see them at the etihad :)

I never got chance to see them at Maine Road, one of my regrets, but standing in the etihad for the first time this season was something I hope I never forget.

How?:
Mum and her cousins etc. all used to live around Claremont, and I was born into a City household/family.

Why?:
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

I was 7 and living in Stretford with my sister and parents. From our front room window you could see the floodlight pylons at the swamp and on match days our road was choc-a-block with traffic and pedestrians. One Saturday lunchtime my Uncle Jack and Uncle Tom turned up on the doorstep and I was informed that they were taking my dad to the football. As the minutes passed by, I pressed my nose to the window. Where were the cars ? Where were the people ? Bemused, I asked my mum why nobody was going to the football. "Oh. Tom and Jack follow City. They play in a different part of town, a couple of bus rides away from here," was her answer. I was intrigued. When my father eventually arrived home that evening, I badgered him to tell me all about this mystery team that I had never heard of. He told me about their 4-2 win against Burnley that afternoon and mentioned that the game had been televised and that we could watch the highlights on Granada the following day. That Sunday afternoon I sat next to my dad on the sofa and watched the mighty greys (black and white telly) for the first time. I was hooked for life.

My dad was from North Wales originally and at that time was not emotionally tied to any club. I soon changed that. I dragged him to Maine Road countless times over the next couple of decades and he ended up as City daft as me. He passed in 1993 and so missed our plummet into the third tier, let alone our amazing transformation. He certainly wouldn't be impressed with modern day ticket prices. I remember when admission to the Kippax went up to £2. "Two quid to freeze my nuts off watching these clowns," he muttered to me. If he had chosen to be buried I would have put that on his tombstone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.