Wierd stuff that scared you as a kid.

Stretchy bungee cords with a hook on each end. When I was a kid I went through a stage of having the same recurring nightmare. Somebody was chasing me. They had no upper leg bones. Their lower legs were attached to their body with an elongated bungee. One hook into the side of their knee and the other in their hip. The wierd thing was the chord was fully taut and acted like their missing upper leg. They could run fast too. I was scared to go to sleep for a few weeks. Not sure what the hell it meant but it really spooked me at the time.

Eddie Grant's mouth.
That many teeth on show, I always feared he might at any given moment take a chunk out of the people he was on tv with.

Bit like watching a human version of Animal the muppet when he's in that panting calm before the storm moment. Barely subdued terror for me.
Especially when he laughed.

Last edited:
When I was about 12 or 13 there was a play on BBC over Christmas called The Stone Tapes and I watched it on my own whilst baby sitting.
I nearly shit myself at the time as it was scary as fuck.
Never seen it again.

Cybermen

The flock wallpaper in my bedroom. After watching The Haunting (1963), the scene where Julie Harris is trying to sleep but can hear voices coming from the wall scared the shit out of me. I had to swap rooms with me Brother.

Seeing it recently, it seems pretty tame. But at the cinema on release, it was feckin terrifying. It really was.
I guess time and movies getting more gory and shocking have dulled it's edge.

Like many, Daleks scared me on TV. Their total lack of compassion and single mindedness was truly frightening to me. I had nightmares about them literally coming down our street.

Also for me personally, was my mum's old Victorian doll on top of her wardrobe. Freaky after seeing that TV show with the ventriloquist's dummy that came to life... I always expected it's head to turn and follow me as I walked past it.

The other was the dead coming back to life. Way before all the modern zombie films and books. The image of their lifeless rotting arms, breaking through the earth of their graves was the generator of many other nightmares for me.
I reckon that fear came from seeing my uncle and aunt 'laid out' in their parlour. (Catholic family, it was the norm to see such, even for kids)
What's even more scary is the font on my post changed without me even knowing how to even do that.

Emu (as in Rod Hull). In the 70s as a child was petrified when he attacked people by putting his beak over their face and jabbed and pinched them. Also the miming by Rod Hull was so good I thought the puppet was live / possessed. Later on as an adult loved Emu when he attacked Parky and bought him down a peg or two

"No!" I'm still scared to this day to switch a light on in case the whole house goes BOOM.

Oh, and this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.