Wigan Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wigan vs CITY Pre Match Discussion

micah should start as RB... wigan wont carry much of an attacking threat and savic can handle ..

Ok lets get real. We are up against the worst defence in the league.
Can you see us not scoring?
Can you see them scoring?

End of.
Stop fretting.

deckoblue said:

End of.
Stop fretting.

too bad football is not math ..

we surely have at least an 80% possibility of winning anyway.. but should always take it seriously, other wise the 20% will happen sometime!!

georgeissa7 said:
deckoblue said:

End of.
Stop fretting.

too bad football is not math ..

we surely have at least an 80% possibility of winning anyway.. but should always take it seriously, other wise the 20% will happen sometime!!

This! We have to take Wigan seriously they held Chelsea and Liverpool they should of beat Chelsea as well. I don't think it will be a walk in the part but I do think we'll win.

How we should romp Wigan

This is perhaps the most important game of our season. Not because of the opposition, but due to the timing of this match. We need a win in the context of the season.

After suffering 3 defeats in the last 4 matches we need to secure 3 points, regain the lead in the title race and march on to bigger and better things. There is no need to think ahead to the Carling cup clash. Forget it mancini and play whats in front of you. Wigan are no slouches, having taken draws against Chelsea and Liverpool.

The Wigan Side:
Martinez believes in an attacking/passing philosohpy. However i don't think we will see a whole lot of that in this match. A 4-4-1 is probably the best bet, with Martinez looking to use Moses and Rodallega on the break against our inexperienced centre half partnership.

Our Weakness:
Back Four -
Savic will get another crack along side Joleon, who needs to really step up and lead the back four (something he has not done in the absence of Kompany). Sadly, i believe Lescott isn't as strong as we all think he is. Time to play out of your skin son.

Savic looked slow on Wednesday night against Liverpool. The fact that Andy Carroll rolled him for pace twice was a sign of that. Perhaps his meagre frame was also a factor. I have no doubt Wigan will set up to play a deep counter style. Moses will be the player to drift off the wing and try to hit us hard through the middle and use Rodallega to isolate Savic. This is going to be our biggest threat and as such, Mancini needs to set-up accordingly.

Squad Selection:
--------------------Hart--------------------
Richards------Savic------Lescott------Clichy
------------Milner---------Dejong-----------
-----Silva---------Aguero---------Nasri-----
-------------------Dzeko-------------------

Richards and Clichy are no brainers. Two players who can defend. Kolarov has proven whenever given the chance that he is not up to the standard that the Premiership demands. I for one hope Richards doesn't go to a 3rd CB which has happened in the last two matches. We need the width he offers due to Silva ghosting inside.

Milner needs to play that box-to-box role. He is a naturally centrefield player which lots of industry and a fantastic passing range. He needs to step-up and dominate the midfield and put the wigan defenders on the back foot.

Dejong is selected due to the counter threat. He will need to provide cover for Savic and Lescott. If De-jong does not play and Barry is chosen, i see us as more vulnerable. Forget about dejong's attacking game. We have enough attackers on the field.

Nasri to an extent changed the game when coming on last week. He has outdone a very poor Adam Johnson recently and deserves his chance to once again cement a spot as our LW/LAM.

Our strategy:
The first 20min will be crucial. We need to start out of the blocks and really play at an up-tempo speed.
We need to really press as high up the pitch as we can, restrict Wigan to long balls and then hit them when they are unorganised and vulnerable.

If we don't get a goal early, it could be another one of those nail-biting 0-0 games which i think we can all agree that we will have none of that. The slow passing around the defence is not going to cut it early on.

Prediction:City 3-0.
Goals to be scored by Aguero, Dzeko and Adam Johnson late on.

If Silva is kept on the bench in reserve, we should start with Barry rather than De Jong, as he has a handy knack of doing a Scholes and grabbing a goal.

As tough a call as it is, I would leave Silva (presuming he's passed fit) on the bench for this one, and ask Nasri - following his performance against Liverpool - to again step up. While there's obviously an element of risk in leaving in Silva out, rather that than the risk of playing him when not 100%, getting injured and being out for weeks/months.

---------------Hart----------
Richards--Savic--Lescott--Clichy
--------De Jong-Barry-----------
Milner/Nasri-------------Nasri/Milner
-----------Aguero--Dzeko----------

Wigan Tonight

3 points - not negotiable tonight irrespective of who is not playing for us.

A month ago I would have been looking at the odds on 0-3 and upwards, but now I am nervous. Don't really mind a "dirty" win - 0-1 with a late debated goal, but would obviously prefer 0-3 / 0-4 / 05 etc.

Here's hoping.

Anyone else "edgy" ??

Re: Wigan Tonight

I would be happy with a draw (keeps us top 1 point clear), but we should win comfortably.

Our away form hasn't been brilliant of late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.