Wigan game VERY close to sell out.

So Wigan have like 1400 tickets, it's round the corner & it's a good kick off time.

Oh & also they're tickets are rather cheap.

Adults - £26.00
Over 65 years - £21.00
Under 16 years - £10.00

I think they'll sell 600.

I went on their forum & they reckon they'll sell 1000 at least cos it's one of the cheapest away days & only round the corner.

jimharri said:
waspish said:
Sooner Wigan go down and replaced with a football city the better
I sort of understand where you're coming from but, at the same time, that is very harsh on the football club. They did extremely well to get up to the PL in the first place and have over-achieved (?) in staying there in the face of such apathy from the local population. It's hardly the club's fault if the natives can't be bothered to get off their arses and follow the side or instead prefer to follow the local rugby league side.

I agree. I'll also add however that I don't think that Wigan Athletic fans are any less loyal than those of other clubs. Not only are we talking about a rugby league town here but there are other factors.

People seem to forget that Wigan were a non-league club until well into the 1970's and as such many of the football fans in the town followed one of the long-established Lancashire clubs - United and Liverpool mainly but also City, Everton, Bolton, Preston, Blackburn, and Blackpool. To expect a club that was in the Northern Premier League 4 decades ago to now be getting crowds of 25-30k every week would be unrealistic even without the above factors in play. Add in those factors and I honestly believe they do well to get the crowds they do.

City end will be sold out.

Wigan support is a disgrace they dont even sell out their own ground against the rags, arsenal etc even with half the ground half full of away supporters so they wont sell out away to city. Be amazed if wigan sell 1000 tickets for this game even though its only down the road.

M18CTID said:
jimharri said:
waspish said:
Sooner Wigan go down and replaced with a football city the better
I sort of understand where you're coming from but, at the same time, that is very harsh on the football club. They did extremely well to get up to the PL in the first place and have over-achieved (?) in staying there in the face of such apathy from the local population. It's hardly the club's fault if the natives can't be bothered to get off their arses and follow the side or instead prefer to follow the local rugby league side.

I agree. I'll also add however that I don't think that Wigan Athletic fans are any less loyal than those of other clubs. Not only are we talking about a rugby league town here but there are other factors.

People seem to forget that Wigan were a non-league club until well into the 1970's and as such many of the football fans in the town followed one of the long-established Lancashire clubs - United and Liverpool mainly but also City, Everton, Bolton, Preston, Blackburn, and Blackpool. To expect a club that was in the Northern Premier League 4 decades ago to now be getting crowds of 25-30k every week would be unrealistic even without the above factors in play. Add in those factors and I honestly believe they do well to get the crowds they do.
They got full houses on there return to the Prem if i remember correctly

I would rater have a Leeds, Forrest, Derby, either Sheffield club, Southampton etc in the league that sides like Wigan. Proper cities, proper well supported football clubs.

I know a lot of people like the romance of these small clubs there on merit etc but I would rather have a decent atmosphere and proper stadiums and cities to go and watch city play any day of the week.

M18CTID said:
Rugby town who've bought a place in the top division.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
M18CTID said:
jimharri said:

They got full houses on there return to the Prem if i remember correctly

I've no doubt they did for a while but there's no way in a million years they were ever going to sustain that level of support unless they were in with a good chance of winning something or qualifying for Europe year in, year out.<br /><br />-- Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:24 am --<br /><br />
Skashion said:
M18CTID said:
Rugby town who've bought a place in the top division.

While Dave Whelan would've done well to remember that when he had a pop at us a couple of years back for our spending, it's a strange thing for one of our own to say.

Fuck i started getting withdrawls thinking it was the off-season again. I'm so keen for this Saturday! Come on you blues

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.