Will Elano start on wed

berger1985 said:
I asked him when I bumped into him on Saturday and he said he would be, though he could have just given me the easy answer!
What was his English like? I personally hope he does start, if it doesn't work out, superman to the rescue.

I hope not putting the mockers on it above line up should have included Zab in midfield, enough of playing with 10 men.

defo in my mind a straight choice between Superman and Elano - the point of playing 2 defensive midfielders in de jong and zabba is not that it is ultra defensive but rather that it allows the full backs to push on, Bridge won't face a harder task than antonio valencia all season and i expect him to help robbie cause havoc down the left on weds.

p.s. think elano should just about get nod over stevie to start with stevie coming off bench when required.

wireblue said:
I think it is a tough decision for hughes. I agree ireland has been probably our best player and i'm not elano's biggest fan. But if ireland misses a game and elano comes in and has a blinder (which he did) then there's a strong case to be made that elano plays and ireland waits for his chance to get back in. If you're playing well you should keep the shirt in my opinion - that breeds competition for places - no one should be an automatic start.
I'm not saying ireland will/won't play but it's not an easy decision for hughes to make.

I agree with that, plus it's sends a message out to the other players that if you lose your place in the team for whatever reason if the team are winning and playing well it won't be easy getting your place back.

Yeah i'd go for playing the one defensive midfielder at home against the weaker sides. Maybe ease de jong in - but then we don't see what hughes sees in training either so he'll be able to judge his fitness.
It'll be a really interesting team selection though. Signs that our squad is getting somewhere near to where it needs to be.

For the first time all season we have competition for places in the side. Newcastle are in disarray so I would play with one holding player and put them on the back foot. If we get an early goal I could easily see us getting 4 or 5. Ideally De Jong gets to play the last half hour in preparation for a start away at Stoke.

Hart
Micah Vince Ned Bridge
Zab Elano
Swp Superman Awol
Bellamy

I'd be shocked if that lineup wasn't too strong to beat the barcodes.

At home against a team like Newcastle we don't need two out and out defensive midfielders so yes i'd start Elano alongside De Jong

cookster said:
wireblue said:
I think richards will stay RB and zabaleta in midfield with de Jong - both had great games against wigan. The Elano/ireland decision is a big one for hughes.
Elano was arguably MOM against wigan so i would like to see him keep his place but ireland coming back does give hughes a headache. I think elano should start but the problem hughes has is that elano is always liable to be a world beater one week and have a nightmare the next game - not sure hughes really trusts him to be consistent like he does with ireland.
I actually don't know what hughes will do.

Elano/Ireland decision tough?? Just look at the image top left for the last few months....

Team we should play...

----------Hart----------
MR---VC----NO---WB---
------Zab---DeJong-----
SWP------SI-------Rob-
--------Bellamy---------

Top 6 side

I like it. Drogba instead of Bellamy would be better but it still looks good.

I'd be both dissapointed and suprised if we played with two defensive midfielders at home. I think that is more of an away tactic and we will see Elano become a home star.

..................Hart...................
Micah..Kompany..Nedum..Bridge
...............Zaba.....................
SWP..........Ireland...........Elano
.........................Robinho........
..............Bellamy...................

De Jong on the bench because he hasn't played a competitive match since October.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.